Uniden PRO401HH 40 Channel Handheld CB Radio
Uniden America Corporation, the North American subsidiary of Japan-based Uniden Corporation, manufactures and markets wireless consumer electronic products including home security and video security systems, Bearcat® scanners, FRS/GMRS radios, marine radios, radar detectors, dash cams, and other wireless personal communications products. Based in Irving, Texas, Uniden sells its products through retailers and distributors throughout North, Central, and South America.
The PRO401HH radio is a mobile radio designed for use in the Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service. It will operate on any of the 40 AM frequencies authorized by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Your radio features a superheterodyne circuit with Phase Locked Loop techniques to assure precise frequency control.
- 40 AM channels
- Condenser microphone.
- Ceramic filter: Delivers greater selectivity and reduces adjacent channel interference.
- AGC (Automatic Gain Control) for a constant sound level.
- Automatic modulation control for constant audio transmits modulation level.
- Low distortion IC audio circuit.
- Automatic noise limiter to reduce pulse noise.
- TX Power select slide switch (HI = 4W; LOW = 1W)
- Antenna with BNC connector.
- External speaker jack and external MIC jack
- Jack for external power source and battery charger.
- Rechargeable (9 AA Ni-MH) or Alkaline (9 AA) batteries
- Internal battery select switch (alkaline or rechargeable)
- Do not expose the PRO401HH to water or extreme temperatures.
- Do not leave batteries installed over a long period as leakage may occur and cause damage to the radio.
- Never use different batteries from the ones suggested.
- Never use harsh chemicals to clean this radio. Use a damp soft cloth.
UNIDEN CONTACT INFORMATION
- You can get answers 24/7 at our website: www.uniden.com.
INCLUDED IN YOUR PACKAGE
If any of these items are missing or damaged, immediately contact your place of purchase or Uniden’s Parts Department.
- PRO401HH Radio
- DC Power Cable
- Other printed materials
Not shown: Wrist Strap
PARTS OF THE RADIO
- Belt Clip
- Battery Compartment
NOTE: A switch inside the compartment lets you select rechargeable or Alkaline batteries.
- Channel UP/DOWN
Select which channel the radio will transmit or receive on.
- Push to Talk
Allows you to transmit.
- Antenna Jack
Connect the detachable antenna to this jack.
- Squelch knob
Adjusts the level at which the radio squelches or suppresses weak radio signals. To filter out weaker signals and background noise, turn the knob clockwise to increase the squelch level. To decrease the squelch level so you can hear weaker radio signals, turn the knob counterclockwise.
- Volume Control
Powers on the radio and adjusts the volume.
Speak into the microphone when transmitting.
- Wrist Strap Slot
Connect the wrist strap to the belt clip.
- Speaker Jack
Connects to an external speaker (not included). The internal speaker is disabled.
- Microphone Jack
Connects to an external microphone (not included).
- 8 V DC External Power Jack
Provides power to the unit. you can use external power sources such as a car battery to power the unit and to recharge the Ni-MH rechargeable batteries.
- Transmit Power Switch (HI/LOW)
Select a power output level for transmission.
NOTE: FCC rules reserve Channel 9 for motorist assistance and other emergency communications. Channel 9 should only be used in situations where there is immediate danger to the safety of individuals or the protection of property.
Install the included rubber antenna onto the radio.
The PRO401HH can also use any type of 50 Ω / 27 MHz band antenna. Although a telescoping antenna might provide better transmission and receiving, it is not as compact or easy to use as the antenna included in the package.
CONNECTING TO POWER
Your PRO401HH can operate on DC power or batteries.
- Plug the DC power cable into the PRO401HH.
- Plug the other end into your vehicle’s cigarette lighter/DC power conversion plug.
- The red power LED is steady when the unit is connected to external power (not batteries).
You can use either 9 non-rechargeable alkaline batteries or 9 rechargeable Ni-MH batteries with this unit.
- Open battery cover.
- Set the internal switch to match the battery type you are using [either alkaline or rechargeable (Ni-MH) batteries].
- Insert the 9 batteries according to the directions indicated inside the battery compartment.
- Close battery cover.
- The LED display turns off after 1.5 seconds to conserve battery power.
- It will also turn off 1.5 seconds after you close Squelch.
- To see the display again, open Squelch.
Low Power Indication
The red LED blinks when battery power is low. Replace/recharge the batteries or connect to a power source.
OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE
NOTE: Make sure you have read and understood part 95 of the FCC rules and regulations before using the transmitter.
CB COMMUNICATION CODES
The “10” code allows you to communicate more easily in noisy environments. The following table lists some of the most common codes and their meaning
Clean the unit with a damp cloth only; never use harsh chemicals.
If your radio is not performing to your expectations, please try these simple steps. If these steps don’t solve your problem, visit the Uniden website (www.uniden.com) for troubleshooting and FAQ information.
SERVICE AND REPAIR INFORMATION
- Save your purchase receipt for proof of warranty.
- When ordering parts, it is important to specify the correct model number of this radio (PRO401HH).
- It is the user’s responsibility to make sure the radio is operating by the FCC Citizens Radio Service regulations at all times
Specifications and features are subject to change without notice.
FCC PART 15 & IC COMPLIANCE
FCC Compliance Statement: This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subjected to the following two conditions:
- this device may not cause harmful interference, and
- this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
Canada license-exempt RSS standard(s): This device complies with Industry Canada license-exempt RSS standard(s). Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
- this device may not cause interference, and
- this device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
Changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void your authority to operate the equipment.
ONE-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
ELEMENTS OF WARRANTY: Uniden warrants, for one year, to the original retail owner, this Uniden Product to be free from defects in materials and craftsmanship with only the limitations or exclusions set out below.
WARRANTY DURATION: This warranty to the original user shall terminate and be of no further effect 12 months after the date of the original retail sale. The warranty is invalid if the Product is
- (A) damaged or not maintained as reasonable or necessary,
- (B) modified, altered, or used as part of any conversion kits, subassemblies, or any configurations not sold by Uniden,
- (C) improperly installed,
- (D) serviced or repaired by someone other than an authorized Uniden service center for a defect or malfunction covered by this warranty,
- (E) used in any conjunction with equipment or parts or as part of any system not manufactured by Uniden, or
- (F) installed or programmed by anyone other than as detailed by the owner’s manual for this product.
STATEMENT OF REMEDY: If the product does not conform to this warranty at any time while this warranty is in effect, the warrantor will either, at its option, repair or replace the defective unit and return it to you without charge for parts, service, or any other cost (except shipping and handling) incurred by the warrantor or its representatives in connection with the performance of this warranty.
LEGAL REMEDIES: This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state. This warranty is void outside the United States of America.
FAQs about Uniden PRO401HH 40 Channel Handheld CB Radio
How functional are portable CB radios?
The FCC has imposed a 4 W output power limit on all CB radios. You should be able to transmit less than a mile utilizing that power restriction and the flexible “rubber duck” antenna that comes with the portable radio in real-world situations.
How far is the range of a portable CB radio?
Your range might be as short as 100 yards if you’re using a handheld CB radio while exploring the mall. A one-mile range is to be expected if you utilize portable devices for communication between two cars.
A 4 watt CB can communicate how far?
Since its strength is just 4 watts, CB radio has been an unlicensed service since the 1970s. A CB with a maximum power down of around 27 megahertz will have a range of roughly 3–4 miles.
How is the Uniden PRO401HH set up?
You may use batteries or DC power to run your PRO401HH. 1 Connect the PRO401HH to the DC power coverter. 2 Insert the other end into the DC power converter connector or cigarette lighter of your car. 3 When the device is linked to external power (not batteries), the red power LED remains lit continuously.
Can you use a CB radio at home?
Initially, an AC-powered radio system is required. The majority of CB radios are made for cars with DC 12-volt power sources. Your best bet when purchasing a CB radio for your house or place of business is to go with one that runs on AC power, like the Galaxy DX 2547.
Does a speaker fit a CB radio?
Are speakers included with CB radios? There is a speaker on every CB radio so that incoming signals may be heard. The speaker’s location might change, though. Although speakers are often located on the radio’s bottom surface, certain versions also include speakers on the front.Are speakers included with CB radios? There is a speaker on every CB radio so that incoming signals may be heard. The speaker’s location might change, though. Although speakers are often located on the radio’s bottom surface, certain versions also include speakers on the front.
What is the CB radio used for?
The CB radio is a radio transceiver that allows people to communicate and exchange information in any situation. Since the vehicle’s antenna generates the radio signal, it is actually certain to exist in all distant areas; unlike mobile phone signal coverage, there is no risk of a signal deficit.
What does the acronym CB radio mean?
Citizens Band Radio, commonly known as Cb Radio, is a short-range radio voice communications technology that is primarily used by private persons in places where cellular telephone service is not accessible, such as cars, houses, and workplaces.
What voltage does a CB radio require?
Pyramid power supply are ideal for using a mobile CB radio outside of your car. You can run your 12V DC CB radios, scanners, and other equipment with this 2.5-amp power supply.
For more manuals by Uniden, Visit Manualsdock