Samyang 135mm AF Full Frame Telephoto Lens
Samyang is a South Korean company known for producing a wide range of photographic and optical equipment, particularly camera lenses. They are often recognized for their manual focus lenses and have gained popularity among photographers and videographers for their high-quality, affordable options.
Here are some key points about Samyang:
- History: Samyang Optics, also known as Rokinon in some markets, was founded in 1972. The company initially started as a manufacturer of camera lenses and gradually expanded its product lineup.
- Lens Range: Samyang offers a diverse range of camera lenses, including prime lenses, zoom lenses, and cine lenses. They produce lenses compatible with various camera systems, including Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm, Panasonic, and more.
- Manual Focus: One of the distinguishing features of Samyang lenses is that many of them are manual focus lenses. These lenses are popular among photographers and filmmakers who prefer precise manual control over focus.
- Image Quality: Samyang lenses are generally well-regarded for their image quality and optical performance. They often provide sharpness and clarity, making them suitable for various photography and videography applications.
- Affordability: Samyang lenses are known for being relatively affordable compared to some other brands while maintaining good optical quality. This affordability has made them an attractive option for budget-conscious photographers and filmmakers.
- Cine Lenses: Samyang is particularly known for its line of cine lenses, which are designed for video production. These cine lenses offer features such as geared focus and aperture rings, de-clicked apertures, and standardized front diameters, making them suitable for professional video work.
- Innovation: Samyang has introduced innovative products over the years, including wide-angle and ultra-wide-angle lenses with unique features, such as fisheye and tilt-shift capabilities.
- Global Presence: Samyang lenses are widely available internationally, making them accessible to photographers and videographers around the world.
Samyang had established a strong reputation in the photography and videography industry.
- Please read this instruction manual and familiarize yourself with the functions of the lens, the operating method, and precautions for handling
the product correctly prior to use. Also, refer to the instruction manual of the camera you are using with the lens.
- The supported functions of this product may vary according to the camera model.
- For detailed information regarding compatibility, visit the certified service center or make inquiries on the message board on our homepage.
Name of Each Part
- Hood locking tube
- Focus ring
- LED index
- Lens signal contact
- Focus Range Limiter
- Custom switch
- Focus hold button
The focus ring (2) can be used for different functions, such as aperture adjustment, depending on the position of the custom switch (7).
Lens Installation and Detachment
- Attaching the lens
- Remove the front and rear caps of the lens.
- Align the LED index indicated on the camera mount with the mounting index indicated on the lens and rotate the lens clockwise until a click is heard.
- Detaching the lens
- With the camera lens-detaching button pressed, detach the lens by rotating it counterclockwise until the lens stops.
Mounting the Filter
- A filter can be mounted on the filter mounting screw at the front of the lens.
- If two or more filters are mounted simultaneously, vignetting may occur.
- Check if the filter size is compatible with the lens (refer to “Product specifications”) and then mount it at the front of the lens.
Mounting the Hood
- The hood blocks unnecessary light and protects the front surface of the lens from rain, snow, and dust.
- Align the mount position index indicated on the hood with the hood index (white) indicated on the lens, and rotate the hood clockwise until a clicking sound occurs. The hood is now fixed.
- You can store the hood by mounting it on the lens in the opposite direction.
- Caution: Improper mounting of the hood hides the lens angle and causes vignetting.
How to use the focus hold button
- This button can fix the focus when the AF mode is selected as the camera focusing method.
- The user can also assign other desired functions to the focus hold button through the menu setting on the camera body.
How to use the Focus Range Limiter
- The Focus Range Limiter only operates in AF mode.
- It is useful when the distance from an object has been determined.
- Move the Focus Range Limiter forward or backward to select the focus range.
- FULL: The AF range is set to infinity at a minimum focus distance of 0.69m. (AF search may take slightly longer.)
- 0.69m – 2m: The AF range is set between 0.69m and 2m, which is suitable for close-up shooting.
- 1.5m – ~: The AF range is set from 1.5m to infinity, which is suitable for normal shooting.
Using the Custom Switch
- Use the custom switch to set the focus ring to control functions such as aperture adjustment.
- MODE 1: Works as a focus adjustment function (when the focusing mode of the camera is set to MF or DMF)
- MODE 2: Works as an aperture adjustment function (when the focusing mode of the camera is set to AF)
How to enter the astrophotographic shooting function
- Automatic infinity focus setting function (Astro-Focus mode) specializing in astrophotographic shooting and LED index are added to the Samyang 135mm F1.8 FE.
- There are two methods to enter the Astro-Focus mode, as follows:
- When the camera is turned on: With the focus hold button pressed, mount the lens.
- When the camera is turned off: With the lens mounted, press the focus hold button and turn on the camera.
When the camera body is turned off, or the camera is operating in sleep mode, astrophotographic shooting mode will be canceled.
How to use the astrophotographic shooting function
- When the camera enters the Astro-Focus mode, the camera focusing mode will change to MF.
- When the camera enters the Astro-Focus mode normally, the LED index will blink red once, will move to the infinity position (factory default value) automatically and the LED will light in green.
- If the focusing position is changed due to the adjustment of the focus adjustment ring while using the lens, the LED will light in red. When you
Press the focus hold button briefly once, focusing will return to the infinity position automatically and the color of the LED will change to green.
Calibration method in case the focus cannot be set to infinity accurately due to a deviation in the camera body
- Find and focus on a subject in infinity by turning the focusing ring.
- When you press and hold down the focus hold button for approximately 3 seconds, the LCD screen on the camera will become dark and then brighten and the infinity value will be calibrated according to the current focal point. The calibrated value will be saved in ROM within the lens.
A Safety Caution
- Do not look at the sun or other strong light through the lens or camera. Doing so may cause blindness.
- Do not store the lens without a lens cap in a location with direct sunlight, such as inside a vehicle. Direct sunlight passing through the lens may be concentrated, causing a fire.
- Keep the lens out of the reach of children. Failure to do so may cause an accident or personal injury.
A Cautions for Use
- In order to use the lens safely, attach or detach the lens while the camera is turned off.
- Be careful not to touch or contaminate the contact point on the mount. A malfunction may occur if electronic signals are not transmitted between the camera and the lens smoothly.
- Do not apply excessive force to the lens when attached to the camera. Doing so may cause damage to the lens and/or camera mounts.
- It is recommended to use a strong tripod. If a weak tripod is used, the tripod may fall, damaging the camera and/or the lens.
- If the lens is placed in a hot location, damage or distortion may occur, resulting in performance problems.
- Take care not to get the lens wet with water or other liquids, and store the lens in a dry place with ventilation.
- If the lens is wet or if you use the lens with wet hands, product failure, fire, or electric shock may occur.
- Avoid direct sunlight, and do not store the lens near naphthalene or mothballs.
- Avoid using the lens in a location with drastic temperature changes. In particular, if you move a lens that has been chilled in a cold location to a warm location, moisture in the air may be concentrated outside or inside the lens, causing a failure or the production of mold. In such a case,
keep the lens in a plastic bag or an exclusive camera bag and take it out when the temperature of the lens becomes similar to the peripheral
- If the lens surface gets dirty, dust it off using a lens blower or a brush and wipe it with a clean soft cloth (cleaning tissue, cotton cloth, etc.).
- When dusting or cleaning the lens, use ethanol or lens cleaner, and do not use organic solvents such as thinner, alcohol, or benzene.
- The minimum focus is the distance from the image sensor to the object.
- The size and weight in the specification exclude the front/rear caps and hood.
- The product specifications and exterior are subject to change without notice.
FAQS About Samyang 135mm AF Full Frame Telephoto Lens
What is the Samyang 135’s minimum focus distance?
What is the weight of the Samyang 135mm AF?
A very lightweight telephoto prime, the Samyang 135mm f1. 8 AF FE weighs only 772 grams.
What is the ideal situation for a 135mm lens?
A fantastic focal length for people and animal portraits, landscapes, candid street photography, and items is 135mm.
What can a 135mm lens capture?
It applies the appropriate amount of compression to faces, bodies, heads, cheeks, nostrils, etc.
For a 135mm lens, what shutter speed should I use?
1/35 of a second
What is the range of a 135mm lens?
7 or 8 feet.
What kind of zoom is a 135mm lens?
Is 135mm a telephoto lens?
Medium telephoto ranges from 135mm to 300mm.
Is a 135mm lens telephoto?
The standard telephoto lens is frequently referred to as a 135mm lens.
Is a 135mm lens suitable for taking landscape photos?
For more abstract landscape photography, the 135mm focal length of the lens offers compression and a tighter frame.
For more manuals by Samyang, Visit Manualsdock
[embeddoc url=”https://manualsdock.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Samyang-135mm-AF-Full-Frame-Telephoto-Lens-Instructuion-Manual.pdf” download=”all”]