Oster Rice Cooker
About Oster: A popular name in the USA, Oster has been manufacturing kitchen appliances for almost 70 years. Most frequently used for mixing, these appliances feature a distinctive All Metal Drive and are recognized for their effectiveness and durability.
For product questions contact:
Jarden Customer Service
©2010 Sunbeam Products, Inc. doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions. All rights reserved. Distributed by Sunbeam Products, Inc. doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions, Boca Raton, Florida 33431.
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed, including the following:
- Read all instructions before using.
- Do not touch hot surfaces. Use pot holders when removing cover or handling hot containers. Use handles or knobs.
- To protect against electrical shock, do not immerse the cord, plug, or heating unit in water or other liquid.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
- Unplug from the outlet when not in use and before cleaning. Allow cooling before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug or after the appliance malfunctions, or has been damaged in any manner.
- Return the appliance to Jarden Customer Service (see warranty) for examination, repair or adjustment.
- The use of accessory attachments is not recommended and may cause injuries.
- Do not use outdoors.
- Do not let cord hang over the edge of the table or counter, or touch heated surfaces.
- Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or in a heated oven.
- Extreme caution must be used when moving any appliance containing hot liquids.
- To disconnect, remove plug from wall outlet.
- Do not use this appliance for anything other than intended use.
- To reduce the risk of electrical shock, cook only in removable pot.
- Do not pour liquid into Heating Body.
- This unit is intended for household use only
Also have a look at Black Decker RC506 Rice Cooker User Manual
This appliance is for HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY.
No user-serviceable parts inside. The power unit never needs lubrication. Do not attempt to service this product. A short power supply cord is provided to reduce the risk resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer cord.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DEFEAT THIS SAFETY FEATURE.
Extension Cord Use
A short power supply cord is provided to reduce the risk resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer cord. An extension cord may be used if care is exercised in its use. If an extension cord is used the marked electrical rating of the extension cord should be at least as great as the electrical rating of the Rice Cooker. The cord should be arranged so that it will not drape over the counter top or table top where it can be pulled on by children or tripped over unintentionally. Do not immerse base in water or other liquids.
This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to modify the plug in any way. If the plug fits loosely into the AC outlet or if the AC outlet feels warm do not use that outlet.
Save these instructions
NO LIABILITY CAN BE ACCEPTED FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY NON-COMPLIANCE WITH THESE INSTRUCTIONS OR ANY OTHER IMPROPER USE OR MISHANDLING.
Additional Important Safeguards
- CAUTION: This appliance generates heat and escaping steam during use. Proper precautions must be taken to prevent risk of burns, fires or other damage to persons or property.
- All users of this appliance must read and understand this owner’s manual before operating or cleaning this appliance.
- The cord of this appliance should be plugged into a 120 Volt AC electrical outlet only.
- When using this appliance, provide adequate air space above and on all sides for air circulation. Do not allow this appliance to touch curtains, wall coverings, clothing, dishtowels or other flammable materials during use.
- Do not leave appliance unattended during use.
- This appliance generates steam. Do not operate uncovered.
- If this appliance begins to malfunction during use, immediately unplug the cord. Do not use or attempt to repair the malfunctioning appliance. Do not use the inner pot or lid if cracked or chipped.
- This appliance is for household use only.
- Unplug the rice cooker when not in use.
- Use the rice cooker on a hard, flat surface. Do not place near heat, an open flame or on a soft surface (such as carpeting). Avoid placing it where it may tip over during use. Dropping the rice cooker may cause it to malfunction.
- Avoid electrical shock by unplugging appliance before washing or adding water.
- To avoid burns, stay clear of the steam vent during cooking. Also, allow the rice cooker to cool completely before touching or cleaning the lid, inner pot or heating plate.
- Never use the inner pot on a gas or electric cooktop or an open flame.
- Do not leave the rice ladle or measuring cup in the inner pot while unit is on and in use.
- Please use measuring cup that was provided in the rice cooker. A standard measuring cup should not be used.
Learning about your rice cooker
- a. Glass Lid
- b. Inner Pot
- c. Heating Body
- d. Keep Warm Light
- e. Cook Light
- f. Cook Switch
- g. teaming Tray (Select Models only)
- h. Handles
- i. Oster™ Measuring Cup (5.33 oz.)
- j. Rice Ladle
Before the First Use
- Remove all packaging materials before using.
- Wash lid, inner pot, rice ladle and measuring cup in warm, soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly. See Care and Cleaning.
- DO NOT IMMERSE THE HEATING UNIT OF YOUR RICE COOKER IN WATER OR OTHER LIQUID
Using Your rice cooker
Note: Measuring your rice is of extreme importance. Please do not discard the Oster™ measuring cup included with this unit. This is a “rice cooker” measuring cup, not a standard U.S. measuring cup. One rice cup of the Oster™ measuring cup included with this unit is equal to 5.33 ounces of uncooked rice. The rice cooker is capable of cooking up to 5 full “rice cooker” Oster™ measuring cups of uncooked rice, or 10 (5.33oz) Oster™ cups of cooked rice. Do not use instant rice with this unit.
- Measure the amount of rice you would like to cook.
- Wash the measured rice in a separate bowl until water is clear.
- Place rice in the INNER POT and add the corresponding amount of water. For example, if you are making 5 Oster™ cups of uncooked rice, add water after adding rice to the “5” mark on the inner bowl.
NOTE: Brown rice will take longer to cook than white rice.
- Set the INNER POT into the rice cooker. Make sure that the INNER POT is in direct contact with the heating BASE by turning it slightly from left to right until it properly fits onto the heating BASE.
NOTE: Make sure the outside of the inner pot is completely dry before placing onto the heating plate.
- Cover with the LID.
WARNING: Do not operate this appliance uncovered—steam is generated during use that could cause burns or other serious injury.
- Plug the cord into a 120 Volt AC electrical outlet. Switch the rice cooker ON by pushing the button down. Make sure the COOK indicator light is illuminated. Steaming will begin shortly.
- The switch will pop up and the KEEP WARM indicator light will come on when all the water in the RICE COOKER has evaporated. NOTE: You may need to add more water and set the rice cooker to COOK more than once depending on your own personal tastes.
- After cooking, the KEEP WARM indicator light will illuminate. For best results, let the rice stand for 10-15 minutes of steaming without removing the LID. Carefully open the LID, taking care to avoid escaping steam. Use the RICE LADLE, or another long-handled utensil, to mix the rice well to allow steam to escape.
Do Not Use Metal Utensils.
CAUTION: Steam will escape. Do not touch the INNER POT or heating unit until they have cooled.
- Allow the appliance to cool completely and unplug it before cleaning.
- Disconnect the plug from the wall outlet when not in use.
- Rinse rice – Bran gives an unpleasant smell to cooked rice. Be sure to rinse rice thoroughly. Rinsing with water effectively removes bran quickly and thoroughly.
NOTE: Some rice suppliers suggest not rinsing rice because vitamins may be lost.
- After use, wash the INNER POT and LID in warm, soapy water.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry.
- Do not keep the rice cooker in operation:
- When there is only a small amount of rice left in the POT.
- When the rice ladle is inside the rice cooker.
- To warm up cold rice.
- DO NOT let water in the INNER POT boil dry.
How To Use Your Steaming Basket (included with select models only)
- Clean and prepare your food or vegetables.
- Place the INNER POT in the BASE. The length of steaming time is subject to your own personal tastes: depending if you prefer al denté (crunchy) or more well done steamed vegetables.
- Measure appropriate amount of water and add to INNER POT. NOTE: You are able to steam rice and vegetables/food at the same time with the STEAMING BASKET resting on the INNER POT.
- Place the STEAMING BASKET on the rim of the INNER POT.
- Add vegetables or food and put the LID onto the appliance. Switch to COOK position for the appropriate time as shown in the chart on page 8.
- Disconnect the plug from the wall outlet.
|ASPARAGUS||8 – 10 MIN|
|BEAN SPROUTS||3 – 4 MIN|
|BEANS: GREEN, Wax, FRENCH CUT||8 – 10 MIN|
|BROCCOLI||11 -13 MIN|
|BRUSSELS SPROUTS||11 -13 MIN|
|CABBAGE, SHREDDED||6 – 8 MIN|
|CABBAGE, WEDGES||14 – 16 MIN|
|CARROTS||8 – 10 MIN|
|CAULIFLOWER||11 -13 MIN|
|CELERY||8 – 12 MIN|
|COLLARD GREENS, SPINACH||6 – 11 MIN|
|MUSHROOMS (FRESH, SLICED)||3 – 4 MIN|
|PEA PODS||4 – 6 MIN|
|SQUASH (ACORN, BUTTERNUT)||13 – 16 MIN|
|ZUCCHINI||10 – 12 MIN|
- Altitude affects the temperature at which water boils and thus the cooking time. It’s especially true at high altitudes where longer cooking times are necessary. We have outlined a general guide to follow. Test for desired consistency when cooking times indicated have been reached. As you cook with this appliance, adapt times and measurements to your own personal tastes.
How To Use Your Steaming Basket While Cooking Rice
- Follow steps 1-4 under the HOW TO USE YOUR RICE COOKER.
- Place the STEAMING BASKET on the rim of the INNER POT.
- Add food to the STEAMING BASKET and put the LID on the appliance. Switch to the COOK position for the appropriate time as shown in the chart.
NOTE: Use the STEAMING TIME Guide to determine when to add food to the STEAMING BASKET. Cooking 10 Oster® measuring cups of finished rice takes approximately 35 minutes. Most vegetables can be added about 10 minutes before the rice has finished cooking. Rice cooking times can vary depending on the type of rice being cooked and the preferred rice texture. Adjust steaming time as desired. Disconnect the plug from the wall outlet
Care And Cleaning
This appliance should be cleaned after every use.
- Unplug the rice cooker when not in use and before cleaning. Never immerse the HEATING UNIT, cord, or plug in water or any other liquids. Allow the RICE COOKER to cool completely before cleaning.
NOTE: Use the RICE LADLE or wooden utensil to stir and remove food from the INNER POT. DO NOT use metal utensils.
- To clean the HEATING UNIT, lightly wipe the exterior with a damp cloth or sponge. Dry thoroughly with a soft cloth.
- The INNER POT is coated with a non-stick coating to make cleanup easier. To clean, remove the INNER POT from the rice cooker and fill it with hot water from the tap. Let it sit for a while and then wash it with hot soapy water. Rinse thoroughly and dry.
- The inner pot, lid, rice ladle, and measuring cup are dishwasher safe.
- Make sure that the grains of rice do not stick to the heating plate at the bottom of the heating base. If this occurs, remove it immediately. If grains of rice are stuck onto the heating plate, a non-abrasive pad can be used to remove them. Polish the area for good contact between the heating plate, and the bottom of the INNER POT.
NOTE: Do not use abrasive cleaners, scouring pads, or steel wool to clean the RICE COOKER
- Do not use bleach, vinegar, or other harsh chemicals to clean the RICE COOKER.
Questions or comments? Please visit us at www.oster.com or call 800-334-0759.
1-Year Limited Warranty
Sunbeam Products, Inc. doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions or if in Canada, Sunbeam Corporation (Canada) Limited doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions (collectively “JCS”) warrants that for a period of one year from the date of purchase, this product will be free from defects in material and workmanship. JCS, at its option, will repair or replace this product or any component of the product found to be defective during the warranty period. Replacement will be made with a new or re-manufactured product or component. If the product is no longer available, a replacement may be made with a similar product of equal or greater value. This is your exclusive warranty. Do NOT attempt to repair or adjust any electrical or mechanical functions on this product. Doing so will void this warranty.
This warranty is valid for the original retail purchaser from the date of the initial retail purchase and is not transferable. Keep the original sales receipt. Proof of purchase is required to obtain warranty performance. JCS dealers, service centers, or retail stores selling JCS products do not have the right to alter, modify or in any way change the terms and conditions of this warranty.
This warranty does not cover normal wear of parts or damage resulting from any of the following: negligent use or misuse of the product, use on improper voltage or current, use contrary to the operating instructions, disassembly, repair, or alteration by anyone other than JCS or an authorized JCS service center. Further, the warranty does not cover Acts of God, such as fire, flood, hurricanes, and tornadoes.
What are the limits on JCS Liability?
JCS shall not be liable for any incidental or consequential damages caused by the breach of any express, implied, or statutory warranty or condition.
Except to the extent prohibited by applicable law, any implied warranty or condition of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose is limited in duration to the duration of the above warranty.
JCS disclaims all other warranties, conditions, or representations, express, implied, statutory, or otherwise.
JCS shall not be liable for any damages of any kind resulting from the purchase, use or misuse of, or inability to use the product including incidental, special, consequential, or similar damages or loss of profits, or for any breach of contract, fundamental or otherwise, or for any claim brought against the purchaser by any other party.
Some provinces, states, or jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from province to province, state to state, or jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
How to Obtain Warranty Service
In the U.S.A. If you have any questions regarding this warranty or would like to obtain warranty service, please call 1-800-334-0759 and a convenient service center address will be provided to you.
In Canada, If you have any questions regarding this warranty or would like to obtain warranty service, please call 1-800-667-8623 and a convenient service center address will be provided to you. In the U.S.A.,
This warranty is offered by Sunbeam Products, Inc. doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions located in Boca Raton, Florida 33431. In Canada, this warranty is offered by Sunbeam Corporation (Canada) Limited doing business as Jarden Consumer Solutions, located at 20 B Hereford Street, Brampton, Ontario L6Y 0M1. If you have any other problem or claim in connection with this product, please write our Customer Service Department.
PLEASE DO NOT RETURN THIS PRODUCT TO ANY OF THESE ADDRESSES OR TO THE PLACE OF PURCHASE.
You may also want to have a look at BLACK DECKER Rice Cooker Instructions Manual
FAQs About Oster Rice Cooker
Can you use the base, the rice bowl, and the glass top without the steaming component attached to cook rice?
Definitely, yes. When something needs to be steamed, utilize the steaming component; otherwise, just place the rice in the “bowl” and cover it with the glass lid. Don’t forget to turn on the stove.
What is the smallest amount you can cook? Could you begin with half a cup of uncooked rice?
I used about a quarter cup when cooking, and it was successful. Therefore, it can be effective for a lone person.
My Oster Rice Cooker keeps boiling over; why?
Oster Rice Cooker might overflow. Rinse the rice three to four times before adding it to the Oster Rice Cooker to prevent this.
What units of measurement do the Oster® Rice Cooker and Instruction Manual use?
Chinese quantities rather than standard ounces are used for measurements. 3/4 of a Chinese cup is equivalent to one American cup.
How long does it take rice in my Oster Rice Cooker to cook?
A full pot of rice takes about 30 minutes to prepare. 33 to 36 minutes were allotted for the tests. Both brown rice and white rice fall under this category.
What quantity of water should I put in my Oster Rice Cooker for various types of rice?
Water Cups Asian/Soft Rice Ratio: 2 Cups of Water to 1 Cup of Basmati/Indian Firm Rice 1 cup of rice, 1.5 cups of water
Brown 2 cups and 2 tablespoons of water, 1 cup of various rice
What tips can I use to get the best results from my Oster Rice Cooker?
Avoid opening the appliance right away after the cooking cycle is over for the best results. Prior to serving, the rice should be given time to settle. Before serving, give the rice a thorough stir.
Don’t keep rice at a heated temperature for more than 12 hours.
Soak the rice and water in the inner pot for 10 to 20 minutes before cooking softer rice.
The use of metal or sharp things will harm the inner pot’s nonstick coating, therefore refrain from doing so.
After unplugging the device, don’t reheat the rice.
After each use, empty the condensation collector cup.
Is it suitable for quinoa?
Yes, I virtually always use it for quinoa; in fact, that’s why I bought it. My personal ratios are 2/3 red quinoa to 2 cups of tap water and 3/4 white quinoa to 1 1/2 cups of tap water. Depending on your climate zone, your ratios might change (I am in the high plains at 1000 feet altitude). The rice cooker has also been used for lentils, and I anticipate it will work just as well for split peas and millet as my old one did. For the little hands who help me cook, I made a label with all the ratios on it and taped it to the back of the cooker (the black portion, not the working bowl).
Even when I cook in tiny batches, my Oster Rice Cooker always spits and splashes… Why am I misusing this?
Since using this Oster Rice Cooker, I’ve only experienced this problem once. It can be the rice-to-water ratio.
Is it possible to steam vegetables without cooking rice?
Yes. However, put hot water in first so that it will boil quickly, and steam the vegetables in the steamer. Put down enough hot water to act as a weight to bring the two metals together (which act as a switch and heating plates).
Is that enough, we have about 4-5 people.
There is always enough when we make 2-3 cups for our 5-person family, especially when we make 3 cups.
Does this come in further hues?
No good suggestions, but I just see black and red.
How much water should I use in an Oster Rice Cooker to make two cups of rice?
Adding the right amount of water to the rice You can use a 1:1 water-to-rice ratio for grains of any length (short, medium, or long). In a similar manner, you can change the recipe to include more rice by substituting 2 cups of rice for 2 cups of water.
What is the steam tray’s height or depth, measured in inches?
Is there a button for auto-off?
After the Oster Rice Cooker cycle is over, the Oster rice cooker continues to operate for 15 minutes before turning off automatically. To be safe, however, we advise disconnecting it after each usage, just like you would with any other item.
How is an Oster 6 Cup Rice Cooker used?
It’s highly user-friendly. You just measure out the rice in the provided measuring cup, according to the number of cups you are preparing, and then fill the pot with water to the water line. Stirring it, covering it, and pressing the cook button are all that are required.
What is the time frame?
If you’re wondering how long it takes to cook white, basmati, or jasmine rice, the answer is roughly 20 minutes. around 30 minutes for brown rice.
How long does it take to cook rice in an Oster rice cooker?
About one-half hour A full pot of rice takes about 30 minutes to prepare. 33 to 36 minutes were allotted for the tests. Both brown rice and white rice fall under this category.
what size is it?
It’s fairly compact. I think it can hold up to six cups at once. I purchased it for my daughter to use in her USC dorm room. It doesn’t take up much counter space and is the ideal size for up to three people.
For More Post Visit: Manuals Dock