Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter
American consumer electronics company Motorola Mobility LLC, also known as Motorola, specializes in making Android-powered smartphones and other mobile devices. It is a division of the Chinese multinational technology company Lenovo, with headquarters at the Merchandise Mart in Chicago, Illinois. Qualcomm Inc.
Important Safety Instructions
Follow these safety precautions when using your product to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and injury to persons or property:
- Keep all slits and openings of the product unblocked. Do not set the product on a heating register or over a radiator. Ensure that proper ventilation is provided at the installation site.
- Do not use it while wet or while standing in water.
- Do not use this product near water (for example, near a bathtub, kitchen sink, or swimming pool).
- Never insert objects of any kind into the product vents as that may result in fire or electric shock.
- Do not use liquid cleaners or aerosol cleaners.
- Do not use chemicals or cleaning agents to clean this product.
- Clean this product with a soft, damp cloth.
- Do not disassemble this product. If service or repair work is required, contact the customer service helpline found in this user’s guide.
- Adjust only those controls that are covered by the operating instructions. Improper adjustment of other controls may result in damage and will often require extensive work to restore the product to normal operation.
- Read and understand all instructions and save them for future reference.
- Follow all warnings and instructions marked on the product.
to your new Motorola Wireless Car Adapter for Android Auto!
- No wires and no fuss.
- Wirelessly connects your phone, so you can hit the road.
Plugs into the existing Android Auto-enabled USB port of a compatible car or truck.
Establishes a Wi-Fi R○E A connection through which Android Auto can operate without the need for a USB cable.
If you have any problems setting up or using your wireless car adapter, please contact us by visiting: motorolasound.com/support
Getting to know your adapter
- USB standard Type-A connector to plug into your car’s Android Auto-enabled USB port
- Adapter button for Bluetooth pairing and reset
- White = adapter powering on
- Blue = Bluetooth pairing mode
- Green = connecting Android Auto
Attach the adapter (OPTIONAL)
You can find a Jel Pad adhered on this page. It can be used to fix the adapter on your car.
- Take out the jel pad from this page. It is normal that the release liner at the back will be kept adhered to on this page.
- Place the jel pad on your car, where it is close to the USB port of your car.
- Remove the release liner at the other side of the jel pad.
- Place your adapter on the jel pad.
Setting up your adapter
- Before setting up your adapter, connect your phone to Android Auto using a wired USB connection.
- While the Android Auto connection is active on your car screen, unplug your phone from the car and immediately plug your adapter into the same USB port.
- To use Android Auto wirelessly, your phone should be running version 11 or higher of the Android operating system.
Pair with the wireless car adapter
- When the adapter LED flashes blue, pair your phone with it (look for ‘AndroidAuto-XXXX’ under Settings > Bluetooth on your phone).
- Now, wait for your phone to automatically re-establish its Android Auto connection wirelessly through the adapter; this may take a while.
- On subsequent drives, Android Auto will start wirelessly after the car connects to your phone for hands-free calling (HFP) from the car’s Bluetooth menu.
- While powered on, press and hold the adapter button.
- To pair a new phone, release the button when it begins blinking blue.
- The adapter is now ready to accept a new Bluetooth pairing request from a nearby phone.
To erase adapter memory, do not release the button when it starts blinking blue; instead, continue holding it down until it blinks yellow, and release only when it turns white; remembered phones are now cleared.
- Wi-FiA 802.11 a/n/ac
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Connection: USB A type Client
- Clean the adapter with a damp (not wet) cloth, or an anti-static wipe.
- Never use household polish as this will damage the product. Never use a dry cloth as this may cause static shock.
- Do not be exposed to direct sunlight.
- Do not place your product on carpets or other surfaces which generate fibers, or place it in locations preventing the free flow of air over its surfaces.
- Do not submerge any part of your product in water and do not use it in damp or humid conditions, such as bathrooms.
- Do not expose your product to fire, explosives, or other hazardous conditions.
Consumer Products and Accessories Warranty
Thank you for purchasing this Motorola branded product manufactured under license by Meizhou Guo Wei Electronics Co. LTD. (“MZGW”)
What Does this Warranty Cover?
Subject to the exclusions contained below, MZGW warrants that this Motorola branded product (“Product”) or certified accessory (“Accessory”) sold for use with this product that it manufactured to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal consumer usage for the period outlined below.
This Limited Warranty is your exclusive warranty and is not transferable.
Who is covered?
This warranty extends only to the first consumer purchaser and is not transferable.
What will MZGW do?
MZGW or its authorized distributor at its option and within a commercially reasonable time, will at no charge repair or replace any Products or Accessories that do not conform to this limited warranty. We may use functionally equivalent reconditioned/refurbished / pre-owned or new Products, Accessories or parts.
What Other Limitations Are There?
ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY, OTHERWISE THE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT PROVIDED UNDER THIS EXPRESS LIMITED WARRANTY IS THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE CONSUMER, AND IS PROVIDED IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OF IMPLIED. IN NO EVENT SHALL MOTOROLA OR MZGW BE LIABLE, WHETHER IN CONTRACT OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) FOR DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT OR ACCESSORY, OR FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, OR LOSS OF REVENUE OR PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF INFORMATION OR OTHER FINANCIAL LOSS ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE ABILITY OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCTS OR ACCESSORIES TO THE FULL EXTENT THESE DAMAGES MAY BE DISCLAIMED BY LAW.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitation or exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, or limitation on the length of an implied warranty, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from one jurisdiction to another.
- Consumer Products: One (1) year from the date of the product’s original purchase by the first consumer purchaser of the product.
- Consumer Accessories (battery, power supply(s), and line cords: Ninety (90) days from the date of the accessory’s original purchase by the first consumer purchaser of the product.
- Consumer Products and Accessories that are Repaired or Replaced: The balance of the original warranty or for ninety (90) days from the date returned to the consumer, whichever is longer.
Normal Wear and Tear.
Periodic maintenance, repair, and replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear are excluded from coverage.
Batteries. Only batteries whose fully charged capacity falls below 80% of their rated capacity and batteries that leak are covered by this limited warranty.
Abuse & Misuse.
Defects or damage that result from:
- improper operation, storage, misuse or abuse, accident or neglect, such as physical damage
(cracks, scratches, etc.) to the surface of the product resulting from misuse;
- contact with liquid, water, rain, extreme humidity or heavy perspiration, sand, dirt or the like, extreme heat, or food;
- use of the Products or Accessories for commercial purposes or subjecting the Product or Accessory to abnormal usage or conditions; or
- other acts that are not the fault of Motorola or MZGW are excluded from coverage.
Use of Non-Motorola branded Products and Accessories.
Defects or damage that result from the use of Non-Motorola branded or certified Products or Accessories or other peripheral equipment are excluded from coverage.
Unauthorized Service or Modification.
Defects or damages resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, or modification in any way by someone other than Motorola, MZGW, or its authorized service centers, are excluded from coverage.
Products or Accessories with
- serial numbers or date tags that have been removed, altered, or obliterated;
- broken seals or that show evidence of tampering;
- mismatched board serial numbers; or
- nonconforming or non-Motorola branded housings, or parts, are excluded from coverage.
Defects, damages, or the failure of Products or Accessories due to any communication service or signal you may subscribe to or use with the Products or Accessories is excluded from coverage.
How to Obtain Warranty Service or Other Information?
To obtain service or information, please visit us at: motorolasound.com/support
You will receive instructions on how to ship the Products or Accessories at your expense and risk, to a MZGW Authorized Repair Center.
To obtain service, you must include:
- the Product or Accessory;
- the original proof of purchase (receipt) which includes the date, place, and seller of the Product;
- if a warranty card was included in your box, a completed warranty card showing the serial number of the Product;
- a written description of the problem; and, most importantly;
- your address and telephone number.
This product from MZGW contains code that is licensed under the General Public Licence (‘GPL’) and/or the Lesser General Public Licence (‘open-source software’).
In accordance with the GPL, MZGW has made the relevant code available to download at: motorolasound.com/support
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
- This device may not cause harmful interference, and
- This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications.
However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and the receiver.
- Connect the equipment to an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
- Any changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the authority to operate the equipment.
- This device and its antenna must not be co-located or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter.
This equipment complies with FCC RF radiation exposure limits set forth for an uncontrolled environment for body-worn configuration in direct contact with the phantom. This equipment should be installed and operated with a minimum distance of 20cm from your body. (The product is for cars only.)
FAQS About Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter
What specifications are needed for wireless Android Auto?
a 5 GHz Wi-Fi capable Android phone that is compatible with active data plans.
What can you accomplish with a Motorola MA1?
The MA1 connects wirelessly to the existing Android Auto-compatible infotainment system in your car.
What is the Motorola MA1’s speed?
The MA1’s 5GHz Wi-Fi connection has more than enough bandwidth to support AA interface projection; according to my phone, the link speed was around 400Mbps.
Why do I continually losing signal on my Motorola MA1?
Use a USB cable that is only about 12 inches long to get over the low signal issue.
Will the Motorola MA1 operate on an iPhone?
Only Android phones and Android Auto are compatible with the Motorola MA1.
Bluetooth required for wireless Android Auto?
You must first Bluetooth-pair your phone and vehicle before you may connect wirelessly.
Bluetooth required for wireless Android Auto?
Bluetooth pairing between your phone and the vehicle is required.
What advantages does wireless Android Auto offer?
Your phone doesn’t need to be plugged in and out every time you leave the house.
What is an Android Auto wifi adapter?
Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter – The MA1 is the first and only USB adaptor attachment employing Google-licensed bridge technology to provide a wireless Android Auto connection in cars, making it a more convenient and secure method to use your Android phone while driving.
What does Motorola want to achieve?
Motorola’s mission is to design, develop, and distribute useful inventions to people all around the world.
For more manuals by Motorola, Visit Manualsdock