Cobra RAD 480i Laser Radar Detector
The future of driver awareness is being advanced by Cobra with the use of cutting-edge technologies. By pursuing exceptional product design and continually creating best-in-class vehicle technology, we seek to lead market sectors. Our 50 years of invention have allowed us to provide the technology you require for a contemporary driving experience, from mending televisions in a small garage to becoming a global leader in consumer electronics.
- Radar/Laser Protection – Detects all radar and laser guns.
- 2nd Generation IVT Filter™ – User updatable system automatically reduces false alerts from moving In-Vehicle Technology sources such as collision avoidance systems and adaptive cruise control, automatic door openers, and traffic flow monitoring systems.
- iRadar® – Wirelessly connects to the Cobra iRadar® app to alert to: Shared Radar and Laser Alerts, Red Light Cameras, Speed Cameras, Live Police.
- LaserEye® – Detects laser signals from both front and rear.
- White OLED Display – Bright display with band identification icons and numeric signal strength meter.
- VoiceAlert – Digital voice announcements keep your eyes on the road.
- Dual Language – English and Spanish voice and text alerts.
- QuietDrive – Quiet Drive is a muted driving mode for times when a driver wants less audible feedback while talking with passengers, on the phone, etc.
- Sensitivity Modes – Multiple sensitivity modes to reduce false alerts.
- Auto Mute – Automatically mutes audio for sustained alerts.
- User Updates – Micro-USB port allows users to access future software updates.
- 6’ Power Cord, Windshield, and Dash Mounts Included.
PRODUCT SERVICE AND SUPPORT
- For any questions about operating or installing this new Cobra product, PLEASE CONTACT COBRA FIRST…do not return this product to the retail store.
- The contact information for Cobra will vary depending on the country in which you purchased and utilize the product. For the latest contact information, please go to www.cobra.com/support or call 1-800-543-1608.
- If your product should require factory service, please go to www.cobra.com/support and follow the instructions for returning your product to the Cobra Factory Service Department.
WHAT’S IN THE BOX
- RAD 480i radar/laser detector
- 12V Power Cord
- Windshield Mount with Suction Cups
- Hook and loop fastener for dash mounting
- Quick Start Guide
Available at www.cobra.com
- Coiled 12V Power Cord: Item # 420-026-N-001– Includes plug and fuse
- Straight Combination Radar USB Cord: Item # PWR USB-01 – Includes plug and USB Output
- Dual Port Power Adapter: Item # CLP-2B – Includes adjustable plug (up to 90˚) and fuse
- Hardwire Cord for Radar: Item # RA-PSCB – Wires your detector directly into the fuse box for a quick and clean installation without any dangling wires
- Install Mount: Item # 545-002 – Includes 3M Dual Lock
CONTROLS AND CONNECTIONS
WHERE TO MOUNT YOUR DETECTOR
You will get optimum performance from your detector if you mount it at a point approximately in the center of the vehicle, as low as possible on the front windshield without obstructing the unit’s view of the road either to the front or rear. You can also mount it directly on the dashboard using the included hook-and-loop fastener.
The detector’s lens must not be blocked and the LaserEye should have a clear view out the back window to allow maximum detection. Radar and laser signals pass through glass but not through other materials and objects. Objects that can block or weaken incoming signals include:
- Windshield wiper blades
- Mirrored sunscreens
- Dark tinting at the top of the windshield
- Heated windshields are currently available on some vehicles (Instaclear for Ford, Electriclear for GM). Consult your dealer to see if you have this option.
- Make sure the rubber cups and your windshield are clean
- Push the bracket firmly onto the windshield.
- Attach the detector to the bracket. Importantly: check that the unit is parallel to the road’s surface.
- To adjust the angle if necessary, gently push or pull on the bracket to bend it. DO NOT use the detector to bend the bracket.
- Plug the power cord into the detector.
- Plug the cigarette lighter adapter on the power cord into your vehicle’s cigarette lighter.
- Place the detector on the dashboard to find a location where the unit has a clear, level view of the road and is parallel to the road’s surface. The angle CANNOT be adjusted after mounting.
- Remove the paper backing from one side of the hook-and-loop fastener.
- Attach the pad to the dashboard at your chosen location and remove the other paper backing.
- Attach the detector to the hook-and-loop fastener. You can remove and reattach the unit as often as you like.
- Plug the power cord into the detector.
- Plug the cigarette lighter adapter on the power cord into your vehicle’s cigarette lighter.
POWERING ON THE DEVICE, ADJUSTING VOLUME
To turn on the unit and adjust the audio volume, rotate the On-Off/ Volume control clockwise (away from you).
NOTE: In some vehicles, power is supplied to the cigarette lighter even while the ignition is Off. If this is the case with your vehicle, you should turn Off or unplug your detector when parking for lengthy periods.
Setting your detector to Low or Medium sensitivity delays the audio alerts for weak X-band and K-band signals until they become stronger. (A single beep will sound when the signal is first detected.) Also, additional filtering is done to reduce false alerts while you are driving in, or near, urban areas where there are many sources for conflicting X and K band signals such as microwave towers and automatic door openers.
To change the sensitivity mode, press the SEN button.
* iRadar-based features require a connection to a smartphone running the Cobra iRadar app
Your RAD 480i is designed to provide you with the truest alerts and minimize the distraction of erroneous signals from radar-based fixed-position and moving sources.
- Adjustable Sensitivity: this allows the driver to adjust sensitivity to the driving environment, reducing false alarms from fixed position sources such as automatic door openers. When using iRadar, Auto mode automatically adjusts sensitivity based on vehicle speed.
- IVT Filter: the system automatically reduces false alerts from moving In-Vehicle Technology sources such as collision avoidance systems and adaptive cruise control.
- Manual Mute allows you to quickly turn OFF an audio alert by momentarily pressing the MUTE button. If you press the MUTE button a second time during the alert, the audio alert will be turned back ON. When an alert is being muted, the audio icon on the display will change to
- Quiet Drive is a muted driving mode for times when a driver wants less audible feedback while talking with passengers, on the phone, etc. Only the first few seconds of audio will be heard. This mode is Off by default. This mode can be changed in the User Settings menu or by pressing and holding the MUTE button for two seconds. When Quiet Drive is on the audio icon on the display will change to
- Battery Voltage
To display your vehicle’s battery voltage, press the MUTE button while no signal is being detected.
- AUTO MUTE
Auto Mute will automatically reduce the audio volume of all alerts after four seconds for as long as the signal is detected. The factory setting for Auto Mute is On.
- DISPLAY BRIGHTNESS
You can choose from four settings for the Brightness of the display. Repeatedly push the DIM button to cycle through the settings. The factory setting is Bright.
- VG-2 ALERT SETTINGS
Police use radar detector detectors (RDDs) to spot users of radar detectors. Your detector is able to identify signals from VG-2 RDDs and can provide alerts when any of these or similar devices are in use near your vehicle.
Your detector is invisible to VG-2 RDDs. You can choose whether you want to be alerted to VG-2 RDD signals. The factory setting for the VG-2 alert is Off.
The Menu is broken up into User and Alert settings.
To change the User settings, enter the Menu by pressing the MENU button. A voice announces “Menu” and the display will change to
- Press the DIM button to enter the User settings menu.
- Press the MARK and MENU buttons to switch between User settings. Press the DIM or SEN buttons to change the selected User setting’s value.
*= Factory default setting
- More detail mode displays information about the radar band, signal strength, and frequency.
- Less detail mode only provides the threat level (see the Radar Alerts section).
- Auto Mute automatically reduces the audio volume of alerts after four seconds for as long as the signal is detected.
- Language can be set to either English or Spanish for all text and voice audio.
- Screen Saver
Your detector has a screen-saver mode. When the screen saver is turned on, the screen will change to Dark after the selected time interval (factory default is 3 minutes). While the screen is Dark, the scanner will be displayed dimly.
NOTE: While SCREEN SAVER is activated, any alert will turn the display back on at the last brightness setting (Bright, Dim, or Dimmer). Touching any button will also turn on the display.
- Smart Power
Your detector includes the Smart Power feature that, when turned On, will put the unit into Low Power mode 15 minutes after the car’s engine has been turned Off.
Before Smart Power enters Low Power mode, you will hear three beeps and Smart Power will flash on the display. To return the unit to Normal Power mode and exit Low Power mode, start the car, press any button, or turn the unit Off and then On again.
- System Info
Displays information about the versions of firmware that are installed on your detector.
- Restore Defaults
To return your detector to factory default settings, press the SEN Button. Press the SEN Button again to confirm that you want to restore factory settings.
- Exit Menu
Pressing the MENU button exits the Menu.
To change the Alert settings, enter the Menu by pressing the MENU button. A voice announces “Menu” and the display will change to
- Press the SEN button to enter the Alert settings menu.
- Press the MARK and MENU buttons to switch between Alert settings. Press the DIM or SEN buttons to change the selected Alert setting’s value.
A distinctly different Alert tone is used for each type of signal detected (including separate tones for each laser signal). For X, K, and Ka-band radar signals, the tones will repeat faster as you approach the signal source. The repeat rate of the tones gives you useful information about the signal detected.
In More Detail mode the radar band, signal strength, and frequency of the detected radar signal will be displayed.
If you are a new user of radar detectors, you may want to use the Less Detail mode. In this mode, the display will only show one, two, or three bars which indicate how likely the alert is to be a police radar or laser gun. This threat level indication takes into account the laser or radar band, strength, and frequency of the detected signal.
With Laser signals, you will always receive a full-strength alert.
- In More Detail mode the word Laser will be shown on the display along with the pulse rate of the Laser signal.
- In Less Detail mode three signal strength bars will be shown.
Your detector is designed to detect Instant-On speed monitoring signals, which can suddenly appear at full strength.
NOTE: You should take appropriate action immediately whenever an Instant-On alert is given.
RESPONDING TO ALERTS
Your detector is designed and built to give you years of trouble-free performance without the need for service. No routine Maintenance is required.
If your unit does not appear to be operating properly, please follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure the power cord is properly connected.
- Make sure the socket of your vehicle’s cigarette lighter is clean and free of corrosion.
- Make sure the power cord’s cigarette lighter adapter is firmly seated in your cigarette lighter.
BANDS AND FREQUENCIES
Modifications or parts substitutions not approved by Cobra Electronics Corporation may violate FCC Rules and void your authority to operate this equipment. U.S. Patent Number: 6,078,279
LIMITED 1-YEAR WARRANTY
Cobra Electronics Corporation warrants that this product and the component parts thereof will be free of defects in workmanship and materials for a period of one year from the date of the first consumer purchase. This warranty may be enforced by the first consumer purchaser. If the product is under warranty, it will be repaired or exchanged depending on the model as determined at Cobra’s sole discretion. Such remedy shall be your sole and exclusive remedy for any breach of warranty. The procedure for obtaining service and support, and the applicability of this warranty, will vary depending on the country or jurisdiction in which you purchased and utilized the product. For details on obtaining product service, support, and warranty please visit www.cobra.com/support
Provided that the product is utilized within the U.S.A.- Cobra will, without charge, repair or replace, at its option, defective products, products or component parts upon delivery to the Cobra Factory Service department, accompanied by proof of the date of first consumer purchase, such as a duplicated copy of a sales receipt. You must pay any initial shipping charges required to ship the product for warranty service, but the return charges, to an address in the U.S.A., will be at Cobra’s expense if the product is repaired or replaced under warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which may vary from state to state and country to country.
This limited warranty does not apply:
- To any product damaged by accident;
- In the event of misuse, ordinary wear, failure to follow directions, or improper maintenance of the product or as a result of unauthorized alterations or repairs;
- If the serial number has been altered, defaced, or removed;
- If the product was purchased or is utilized in a jurisdiction not covered by the limited warranty.
All implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are limited in duration to the length of this warranty. Cobra shall not be liable for any incidental, consequential, or other damages; including, without limitation, damages resulting from loss of use or cost of installation. Some states and countries do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts and/or do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state and country to country
TRADEMARKS ACKNOWLEDGMENT, WARNINGS, and REGULATORY INFORMATION
- Cobra, the snake design, Drive HD™, the d design, and Record your ride™ are proprietary trademarks of Cobra Electronics Corporation, USA. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
- Cobra Electronics Corporation™ is a trademark of Cobra Electronics Corporation, USA.
- HDMI, the HDMI logo, and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or HDMI registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC in the United States and other countries.
- Cobra®, DigiView®, EasySet®, Extra Sensory Detection®, LaserEye®, Nothing Comes Close to a Cobra®, VG-2 Alert®, Xtreme Range Superheterodyne® and the snake design are registered trademarks of Cobra Electronics Corporation, USA.
- Cobra Electronics Corporation™, AURA™, IntelliLink™, IntelliScope™, IntelliView™, Revolution™ Series, IVT Filter™, SmartPower™, Super-Xtreme Range Superheterodyne™, S-XRS™, and Voice Alert™ are trademarks of Cobra Electronics Corporation, USA.
- Opticom™ is a trademark of 3M Corporation. Instaclear® for Ford is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company, Inc. Electriclear® for GM is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation. LTI Laser™ and LTI 20-20™ are trademarks of Laser Technology, Inc. Kustom Laser™, Kustom Laser 340™, and ProLaser II™ are trademarks of Kustom Signals, Inc. SpeedLaser™ is a trademark of Laser Atlanta. Bee III™ and Pop™ are trademarks of MPH Industries. Stalker™ LIDAR is a trademark of Applied Concepts, Inc. Spectre I™ and Spectre IV™ are trademarks of Stealth Micro Systems Pty. Ltd. SpeedLaser™ is a trademark of Laser Atlanta, LLC. Interceptor VG-2™ is a trademark of TechniSonic Industries LTD.
NOTE: This device complies with part 15 of FCC rules: Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
- This device may not cause harmful interference, and
- This device must accept any interference received including interference that may cause undesired operation.
CAUTION: Modifications or parts not approved by Cobra Electronics Corporation may violate FCC Rules and void the authority to operate this equipment. This device complies with RSS-310 of Industry Canada. Operation is subject to the condition that this device does not cause harmful interference.
FAQS About Cobra RAD 480i Laser Radar Detector
Cobra 480i operates at what voltage?
What Cobra rad 480i setting is the best?
The optimum settings for detecting all police radar and laser are the default ones.
What is the range of the Cobra radar detector?
The range is at least two miles when the terrain is level and open.
Is there a camera on the Cobra 480i?
clever dual-view dash cam
What is the Cobra RAD 480i’s model number?
Radar Detector with Connected Radar Laser Driver Alert System: Cobra RAD 480i (0180009-1).
What does the Cobra 480i’s USB port do?
Firmware upgrades can only be installed using the micro USB connector.
What does Cobra 480i’s download mode do?
When you use a USB-C cable to connect the RAD 480i to a computer, download mode is shown.
How is the Cobra 480i put to use?
The RAD 480i accurately detects radar and laser signals by using digital signal processing.
How is a Cobra 480i reset?
For two (2) seconds, press and hold the “PROGRAM/UTE” button. Three (3) beeps will be made by the detector, and PROGRAM will then display. The display will then go through some brief programming instructions three (3) times. Decide on “RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS”.
What are the Cobra Rad 480i’s sensitivity settings?
High, Medium, Low, and Auto are the four sensitivity settings available on the Cobra RAD 480i.
For more manuals by Cobra, Visit Manualsdock