Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 Tower Server
Lenovo is a Chinese multinational technology company that designs, develops, manufactures, and sells personal computers, tablets, smartphones, servers, electronic storage devices, smart televisions, and more. It was founded in 1984 in Beijing, China by a group of Chinese engineers, and was initially called Legend. In 2005, the company acquired IBM’s personal computer business and became the world’s third-largest personal computer manufacturer.
Lenovo operates in more than 60 countries and has a workforce of over 60,000 employees. Its headquarters are in Beijing, China, and Morrisville, North Carolina, USA. Lenovo is known for its ThinkPad and IdeaPad lines of laptops, as well as its Yoga series of 2-in-1 laptops and tablets.
Note: Before using the product, be sure to read and understand the multilingual safety instructions on the documentation DVD that comes with the product.
To avoid a shock hazard:
- Do not connect or disconnect any cables or perform installation, maintenance, or reconfiguration of this product during an electrical storm.
- Connect all power cords to a properly wired and grounded electrical outlet.
- Ensure that all power cord connectors are securely and completely plugged into receptacles.
- Connect to properly wired outlets any equipment that will be attached to this product.
- When possible, use one hand only to connect or disconnect signal cables.
- Never turn on any equipment when there is evidence of fire, water, or structural damage.
- Disconnect the attached power cords, telecommunications systems, networks, and modems before you open the device covers unless instructed otherwise in the installation and configuration procedures.
- Connect and disconnect cables as described in the following table when installing, moving, or opening covers on this product or attached devices.
This user guide for your Lenovo® ThinkServer® product contains information about the server features, specifications, component locations, configuration instructions, hardware replacement procedures, and basic troubleshooting and diagnostics.
Your server comes with a documentation DVD that contains various server documents to help you use and maintain the server. Meanwhile, your server comes with a ThinkServer EasyStartup DVD that provides a convenient solution for configuring the server and installing an operating system.
The Lenovo Limited Warranty (LLW) contains the warranty terms that apply to the product you purchased from Lenovo. Read the LLW on the documentation DVD that comes with your server. A printable generic version of the latest LLW also is available in more than 30 languages at http://www.lenovo.com/warranty/llw_02. If you cannot obtain the LLW through the documentation DVD or Lenovo Web site, contact your local Lenovo office or reseller to obtain a printed version of the LLW, free of charge.
For warranty service, consult the worldwide Lenovo Support telephone list. Telephone numbers are subject to change without notice. The most up-to-date telephone list for Lenovo Support is always available on the Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/support/phone. If the telephone number for your country or region is not listed, contact your Lenovo reseller or Lenovo marketing representative.
To obtain the most up-to-date information about the server, go to: http://www.lenovo.com/thinkserver
Lenovo maintains pages on the World Wide Web where you can get the latest technical information and download documentation or device drivers and updates.
To access the Lenovo Support Web site, go to: http://www.lenovo.com/support
Record information about your server in the following table. You will need the information if you ever need to have your server serviced. For where to find the product information label on the chassis, see “Machine type, model, and serial number label” on page 12.
- Product name ______________________________________________
- Machine type and model (MT-M) ______________________________________________
- Serial number (S/N) ______________________________________________
- Date of purchase ______________________________________________
You can register your server with Lenovo by following the instructions at: http://www.lenovo.com/register
When you register your server, information is entered into a database, which enables Lenovo to contact you in case of a recall or other severe problems. After you register your server with Lenovo, you will receive quicker service when you call Lenovo for help. In addition, some locations offer extended privileges and services to registered users.
This topic provides general descriptions of the various documentation for your server and instructions on how to obtain all the documentation. Printed documents The following document is printed out and contained in your server package.
Read Me First
This is a multilingual document you should read first. This document guides you to read the complete warranty, support, and safety information on the documentation DVD that comes with your server before using the product. This document also provides information about how to find the most up-to-date information on the Lenovo Support Web site. This document includes safety and legal notices that you should read and understand before using the server.
The documentation DVD, which comes with your server, contains various documents for your server in Portable Document Format (PDF). To view the documentation, you need to have the Adobe Reader program installed. You can download the desired language version of the latest Adobe Reader program from the Adobe Web site at: http://www.adobe.com
To start the documentation DVD, insert the DVD into the optical drive. The DVD is AutoPlay enabled and starts automatically in most Microsoft® Windows® environments. If the DVD fails to start or if you are using a Linux® operating system, open the launch.htm file located in the root directory of the DVD.
Note: Lenovo maintains pages on the World Wide Web where you can get the latest technical information and download documentation or device drivers and updates. Some information in the documents on the documentation DVD might change without notice after the first release of the DVD. You can always obtain all the most up-to-date documentation for your server from the Lenovo Web site at: http://www.lenovo.com/UserManuals
The following documents are on the documentation DVD that comes with your server:
- Safety, Warranty, and Support Information This is a multilingual document that includes all the safety statements for your product in more than 30 languages. Be sure to read and understand all the safety statements before using the product. This document includes the Lenovo warranty statement, Customer Replaceable Units (CRUs) information, and information about how to contact the Lenovo Customer Support Center.
- Lenovo License Agreement This document includes the terms and conditions of the Lenovo License Agreement.
- User Guide This document provides detailed information to help you get familiar with your server and help you use, configure, and maintain your server.
- MegaRAID SAS Software User Guide This document provides information about the Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) and how to use the utility programs to configure, monitor, and maintain your server RAID and related devices. This document is in English only.
Note: Refer to this document for hardware RAID information if you have a required RAID card installed in the server. See “Installing or removing the RAID card” on page 82. For information about the ThinkServer RAID 100 (also known as the onboard SATA software RAID), see “Configuring the system BIOS to enable onboard SATA RAID functionality” on page 59. Document for trained service personnel only The following document is intended only for trained service personnel of Lenovo.
Hardware Maintenance Manual
This document provides information about component locations, replacement procedures for major Field Replaceable Units (FRUs), and troubleshooting and diagnostics. This document is updated frequently, and the most up-to-date version is always available in English on the Lenovo Web site at: http://www.lenovo.com/UserManuals
Server setup road map
This chapter provides a general road map to guide you through setting up your server. The server setup procedure varies depending on the configuration of the server when it was delivered. In some cases, the server is fully configured and you need to connect the server to the network and an ac power source, and then you can turn on the server. In other cases, the server needs to have hardware features installed, requires hardware and firmware configuration, and requires an operating system to be installed.
The general procedure for setting up your server is:
- Unpack the server package. See “Server package” on page 7.
- Install any required hardware or server option. See the related topic in Chapter 6 “Installing, removing, or replacing hardware” on page 65.
- Connect the Ethernet cable and power cords to the server. See “Rear view of the server” on page 17 to locate the connectors.
- Turn on the server to verify the operation. See “Turning on the server” on page 45.
- Review the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Basic Input Output System (BIOS) settings and customize as needed. See “Using the Setup Utility program” on page 47.
- Configure RAID and install the operating system and basic drivers. See “Using the ThinkServer EasyStartup program” on page 54 and “Configuring RAID” on page 57.
- Install any additional drivers needed for added features. Refer to the instructions that come with the hardware option.
- Configure Ethernet settings in the operating system by referring to the operating system help. This step
is not required if the operating system was installed using the ThinkServer EasyStartup program.
- Check for firmware and driver updates. See “Updating the firmware” on page 62.
- Install other applications. Refer to the documentation that comes with the applications that you want to install.
This topic lists the physical specifications for your server.
- Width: 195 mm (7.68 inches)
- Height: 430 mm (16.93 inches) without foot stands; 445 mm (17.52 inches) with foot stands
- Depth: 595 mm (23.43 inches) including the front bezel Weight
The product weight varies depending on different system configurations.
- Range of product weight without package: 19 kg (41.89 lb) to 28 kg (61.73 lb)
- Range of product package weight: 2.8 kg (6.17 lb) to 3.5 kg (7.72 lb)
- Air temperature:
- Operating: 10°C to 35°C (50°F to 95°F)
- Storage: -40°C to 70°C (-40°F to 158°F) in original shipping package
- Altitude: 0 to 3048 m (0 to 10 000 ft)
- Operating: 10% to 80% (non-condensing)
- Storage: 10% to 90% (non-condensing)
- Universal input:
- Minimum: 90 V ac
- Maximum: 264 V ac
- Input frequency range: 47 to 63 Hz
You can use the information in this topic to access useful resources relating to your needs when using the product.
Using the documentation
documentation that comes with the product. The documentation can include printed documents, online documents, readme files, and help files. Most of the documentation for your server is on the documentation DVD provided with your server. Refer to the troubleshooting information in your server User Guide for instructions on how to diagnose problems and do basic troubleshooting. The troubleshooting and diagnostics information might tell you that you need additional or updated device drivers or other software. Lenovo maintains pages on the World Wide Web where you can get the latest technical information and download documentation or device drivers and updates.
To access the Lenovo Support Web site, go to: http://www.lenovo.com/support
For more information about your server documentation, see “Server documentation” on page 2. If you suspect a software problem, refer to the documentation, including readme files and online help, that comes with the operating system or software program.
ThinkServer Web site
The ThinkServer Web site provides up-to-date information and services to help you buy, use, upgrade, and maintain your server.
You also can do the following by visiting the ThinkServer Web site at: http://www.lenovo.com/thinkserver
- Shop for servers as well as upgrades and accessories for your server.
- Purchase additional services and software.
- Purchase upgrades and extended hardware repair services.
- Access the Lenovo Limited Warranty (LLW).
- Access the online manuals for your products.
- Access troubleshooting and support information for your server model and other supported products.
- Download the latest device drivers and software updates for your server model.
- Find the service and support phone numbers for your country or region.
- Find a Service Provider located near you.
Using other services
If you travel with a Lenovo notebook computer or relocate your computer to a country where your desktop, notebook, or server machine type is sold, your computer might be eligible for International Warranty Service, which automatically entitles you to obtain warranty service throughout the warranty period. Service will be performed by service providers authorized to perform warranty service.
Service methods and procedures vary by country, and some services might not be available in all countries. International Warranty Service is delivered through the method of service (such as depot, carry-in, or on-site service) that is provided in the servicing country. Service centers in certain countries might not be able to service all models of a particular machine type. In some countries, fees and restrictions might apply at the time of service.
To determine whether your computer is eligible for International Warranty Service and to view a list of the countries where service is available, go to http://www.lenovo.com/support, click Warranty, and follow the instructions on the screen.
For technical assistance with the installation of or questions related to Service Packs for your installed Windows product, refer to the Microsoft Product Support Services Web site at http://support.microsoft.com/directory or you can contact the Customer Support Center. Some fees might apply.
Purchasing additional services
During and after the warranty period, you can purchase additional services, such as support for hardware, operating systems, and application programs; network setup and configuration services; upgraded or extended hardware repair services; and custom installation services. Service availability and service names might vary by country or region.
For more information about these services, go to the Lenovo Web site at: http://www.lenovo.com
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Statement
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class A digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference when the equipment is operated in a commercial environment. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instruction manual, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. Operation of this equipment in a residential area is likely to cause harmful interference in which case the user will be required to correct the interference at his own expense.
Properly shielded and grounded cables and connectors must be used in order to meet FCC emission limits. Lenovo is not responsible for any radio or television interference caused by using other than specified or recommended cables and connectors or by unauthorized changes or modifications to this equipment. Unauthorized changes or modifications could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules.
Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
- This device may not cause harmful interference, and
- This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
FAQs Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 Tower Server
What is the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 Tower Server?
The Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 Tower Server is a robust and reliable server designed for small to medium-sized businesses. It offers a balance between performance, scalability, and affordability, making it suitable for various applications, such as file and print serving, web hosting, virtualization, and more.
Can the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 be configured for virtualization?
Yes, the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 is suitable for virtualization. It supports virtualization technologies such as VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V. With its powerful processors, memory capacity, and storage options, it can efficiently run multiple virtual machines to consolidate workloads and optimize resource utilization.
What are the available models and configurations of the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440?
The specific models and configurations of the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 may vary over time. However, typical configurations include options for different processors, memory capacities, storage configurations, and networking capabilities. It’s best to refer to the official Lenovo website or consult with a Lenovo representative for the most up-to-date information on available models and configurations.
Is the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 suitable for small businesses?
Yes, the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 is well-suited for small businesses. Its combination of performance, scalability, and affordability makes it a cost-effective choice for various business applications. Its compact tower design, quiet operation, and ease of management make it suitable for office environments where space and noise reduction are important considerations.
What are the networking capabilities of the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440?
The Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 offers robust networking capabilities. It typically includes multiple Gigabit Ethernet ports for high-speed connectivity. The number of Ethernet ports may vary depending on the specific model and configuration. These Ethernet ports allow for easy integration into local area networks (LANs) and support various network-based applications and services.
Does the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 have built-in RAID support?
Yes, the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 supports RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) configurations. It typically includes an integrated RAID controller that allows you to configure different RAID levels, such as RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10, depending on your storage requirements. RAID configurations help enhance data protection, improve performance, and enable data redundancy.
Can the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 be rack-mounted?
While the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 is primarily designed as a tower server, it is possible to convert it into a rack-mounted server using optional rack-mount conversion kits or accessories. These conversion kits typically include rack rails and brackets that allow you to securely mount the server in a standard rack cabinet, saving valuable floor space.
What are the power supply options for the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440?
The Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 usually comes with a single power supply as a standard configuration. However, an optional redundant power supply is available for increased reliability and failover protection. The redundant power supply option ensures that the server continues to operate even if one power supply fails, minimizing downtime and ensuring continuous availability.
Does the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 support remote management?
Yes, the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 supports remote management capabilities. It typically includes features such as Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) and the Lenovo ThinkServer Management Module (TMM). These management features allow administrators to remotely monitor server health, perform diagnostics, manage power settings, update firmware, and perform other management tasks, reducing the need for physical presence at the server location.
What are the warranty options for the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440?
The warranty options for the Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 can vary depending on the region and the specific purchase agreement. Typically, Lenovo offers a standard limited warranty with options to extend it through warranty upgrade packages. It is advisable to check with Lenovo or authorized resellers for detailed warranty information and available options for the ThinkServer TS440 in your specific location.
[embeddoc url=”https://manualsdock.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Lenovo-ThinkServer-TS440-Tower-Server.pdf” download=”all”]