EverStart Maxx SL5W09E Lumens Flashlight/Spotlight
Johnson Controls is the manufacturer of EverStart batteries. These are high-quality, long-lasting, and low-maintenance. The EverStart series offers both AGM and lead acid batteries. The two AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery models that are most frequently used are EverStart Plus and EverStart Maxx.
SAFETY GUIDELINES / DEFINITIONS
- DANGER: Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will result in death or serious injury.
- WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could result in death or serious injury.
- CAUTION: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result in minor or moderate injury and/or property damage.
- RISK OF UNSAFE OPERATION. When using tools or equipment, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of personal injury. Improper operation, maintenance or modification of tools or equipment could result in serious injury and property damage. There are certain applications for which tools and equipment are designed. Manufacturer strongly recommends that this product NOT be modified and/or used for any application other than for which it was designed. Read and understand all warnings and operating instructions before using any tool or equipment.
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING: Read all instructions before operating light. Failure to follow all instructions listed below may result in electric shock, fire and/or serious injury.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
INSTRUCTIONS PERTAINING TO RISK OF FIRE, ELECTRIC SHOCK, OR INJURY TO PERSONS
WARNING! Risk of fire, electric shock, burst hazard, or injury to persons:
- LED gets HOT quickly!
- Do not touch the LED at any time when operating.
- Only contact trigger when turning on.
- Do not touch hot lens or enclosure.
- Do not remain in light if skin feels warm.
- Do not operate the Everstart spotlight with a missing or damaged lens or enclosure.
- The Everstart spotlight and the supplied charging cable are not toys and cannot be played with as toys. To reduce the risk of injury, close supervision is necessary when these units are used near children.
- Use only attachments recommended or sold by the manufacturer.
WARNING! To reduce the risk of electric shock:
- Do not put the Everstart spotlight in water or other liquid. Do not place or store this light where it can fall or be pulled into water or become wet.
- Charge indoors only. Do not expose charger to water or any other liquid.
- Do not clean this appliance with a water spray or the like.
- Use only the charging cable supplied by the manufacturer to charge and recharge. Plug in the charging cable at the light first, then plug into the charging source.
WARNING! Fire hazard:
- Never contact combustible material to the lens.
- Keep Everstart spotlight lamp away from materials that may burn.
CAUTION! To reduce the risk of injury or property damage:
- All lights give off heat:
- Do not touch the lens while operating.
- Keep combustibles away from Everstart spotlight lens. Extreme heat can cause fires.
- Never place the light face down on any surface when lit, charging or not in use. Never store the light face down on any surface.
- Never look directly into the light or shine the light into another person’s eyes.
- Keep sharp objects away from lens — it is glass and can break.
- Do not immerse Everstart spotlight in water.
- Do not expose this unit to extremely high temperatures.
- Do not drop or throw Everstart spotlight. It contains glass and a lithium-ion battery.
- After charging/recharging, disconnect the charging cable and wait 5 minutes before use.
- Do not crush, cut, pull or expose charging adapter cords to extreme heat.
- Position charging adapter cords so they do not become entangled or become a safety hazard. Keep charging adapter cords away from sharp edges.
- Use in a dry location only.
- There are no user-serviceable parts inside. Do not attempt to disassemble any other parts of the unit. • Do not attempt to charge the unit if the USB charging cable is damaged – return the charging cable to manufacturer for repair or replacement.
SPECIFIC SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS FOR LITHIUM-ION BATTERIES
WARNING! To reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, burst hazard, or injury to persons or property: Lithium-ion batteries are small, compact and ideal for providing long-lasting power to this unit. However, they must be used and charged properly. Improper use can result in serious injury, fire, or death.
- Lithium-ion batteries can explode in the presence of a source of ignition. Do not use the product in the presence of an open flame.
- Do not place this lithium-ion battery powered unit in fire or apply heat to it.
- Do not subject this lithium-ion battery powered unit to strong impacts or shocks. The battery in this unit contains safety and protection devices which, if damaged, may cause the battery to generate heat, rupture or ignite.
- Do not expose this lithium-ion battery powered unit to water or salt water, or allow the battery to get wet.
- Avoid storing this lithium-ion battery powered unit in the basement, bathroom or other areas of the house that are or may become wet or humid or where moisture may concentrate.
- Do not leave this lithium-ion battery powered unit in direct sunlight, or use or store the unit inside cars in hot weather. Doing so may cause the battery to generate heat, rupture, or ignite. Using the battery in this manner may also result in a loss of performance and a shortened life expectancy.
- Never charge this unit near heat or flammable objects.
- NEVER THROW WATER ON A BURNING LI-ION BATTERY! If a lithium-ion battery does catch on fire, it will burn even more violently if it comes in contact with water or even moisture in the air. A fire extinguisher must be used.
Battery Charging and Capacity
This unit is delivered in a partially charged state – you must fully charge it before using it for the first time. When stored at room temperature with a full charge, Li-ion batteries will will begin to discharge from the time they are manufactured, even when unused. Deep discharges also decrease their capacity. Battery life can be extended by the following:
- Charge battery to full capacity before storage.
- Optimal storage temperature for this unit is between 5°C and 20°C (41°F and 68°F).
- Never discharge the battery fully.
- Charge after each use.
- Always charge at least once every 3-6 months if not in frequent use to prevent overdischarge.
Transportation of Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Always check all applicable local, national, and international regulations before transporting a unit containing a Lithium-Ion battery.
- Transporting an end-of-life, damaged, or recalled battery may, in certain cases, be specifically limited or prohibited.
- 5 watt LED bulb
- Rubber Bezel
- On/Off Trigger
- Pistol Grip Handle
- Battery/Charge Status LED Indicator
- Micro-USB charging port (for use with the USB Charging Cable)
- USB charging cable
- Regular USB plug
- Micro-USB plug
READING THE BATTERY/CHARGE STATUS LED INDICATOR
The battery and charging status LED indicator is located on the back of the unit. It lights or flashes in three colors to indicate the following:
- Green: Battery is in a fully charged state.
- Green (flashing): Battery is in a high partially charged state.
- Orange (flashing): Battery is in a low partially charged state.
- Red (flashing): Battery needs to be recharged.
- Red (flashing rapidly): The battery of the unit is overheated due to extensive use or recharging. The charging process will stop at this stage and will automatically resume after a cool down period.
- Green: Battery is operating at full voltage.
- Orange: Battery is operating at partial voltage.
- Red: Battery is operating at low voltage, and should be recharged or the built-in low voltage protection will be activated and the unit will automatically shut down shortly.
- Red (flashing rapidly): The battery of the unit is overheated (due to extensive use or recharging), or is too cold (the ambient temperature has dropped below –20°C). Operation will stop at this stage.
CHARGING/RECHARGING THE Everstart SPOTLIGHT
This unit is shipped in a partially charged state. Charge unit after purchase and BEFORE first use until the battery/charge status LED indicator lights green.
Recharge after each use until the battery/charge status LED indicator lights green.
IMPORTANT: When the unit is not in use, we recommend that the battery is charged at least every 3 to 6 months.
CAUTION! To reduce the risk of injury or property damage:
- Never place the light face down on any surface when charging.
- Failure to keep the battery charged will cause permanent damage and result in poor performance.
Charging/recharging using the USB charging cable and a device with a USB power port (not supplied)
- Make sure the Everstart spotlight is off.
- Insert the micro-USB plug of the USB charging cable into the micro USB charging port on the back of Everstart spotlight.
- Insert the regular USB plug of the USB charging cable into a device’s functional USB power port. The battery/charge status LED indicator will light or flash in one of three colors (as described in the “Reading the Battery/Charge Status LED Indicator” section) to indicate the charging status.
- Charge until the battery/charge status LED indicator lights green.
- When charging is complete, disconnect the USB charging cable from the device’s USB power port and the spotlight. Store the cable in a safe place.
OPERATING THE Everstart Spotlight
The On/Off Trigger turns the light on and off; and is also used to select the light mode.
CAUTION: DO NOT OPERATE WHILE CHARGING.
Disconnect the USB charging cable, then select the light mode as follows:
IMPORTANT – To protect the unit’s internal battery from damage and save energy:
- If the light’s battery voltage is nearly low, the unit will switch automatically to Low Light Mode even if the High Light Mode has been selected.
- If the light’s battery voltage is low, the built-in low voltage protection will activate after a short period of operation, then the unit will automatically shut down. Recharge the battery before continuing use.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
All batteries lose energy from self-discharge over time and more rapidly at higher temperatures. When the unit is not in use, we recommend that the battery is charged at least every 3 to 6 months.
From time to time wipe the outside of the appliance with a soft cloth. Do not immerse the appliance in water. There are no user-replaceable parts. Periodically inspect the condition of adapters, connectors and wires. Contact manufacturer to replace any components that have become worn or broken.
The battery should last the service life of the unit. Service life is dependent on a number of factors including but not limited to the number of recharge cycles, and proper care and maintenance of the battery by the end user. Contact manufacturer for any information you may need.
SAFE BATTERY DISPOSAL
Contains a lithium-ion battery, which must be disposed of properly. Recycling is required. Failure to comply with local, state and federal regulations can result in fines, or imprisonment. Please recycle.
- Do not dispose of the battery in fire as this may result in an explosion.
- Before disposing of the battery, protect exposed terminals with heavy-duty electrical tape to prevent shorting (shorting can result in injury or fire).
- Do not expose battery to fire or intense heat as it may explode.
- The light will not charge
- Check that the light has been turned off.
- Check the connection to the light and the USB power source. Make sure there is good contact.
- Make sure the power source is functioning properly.
- The unit may have shut down to protect the battery from overheating after a long period of operation or charging. Disconnect the USB charging cable from the light and the power source. Allow the light to cool down for a period before resuming charging.
- The Everstart spotlight will not operate
- Make sure the On/Off Trigger has been pressed to turn the Everstart spotlight on.
- The internal battery may be completely discharged. Charge the unit following the directions given in this manual.
- The unit may have shut down to protect the battery from overheating after a long period of operation or charging; or the ambient temperature has dropped below –20°C. Allow the Everstart spotlight to cool down or warm up for a period before resuming operation.
- If the ambient temperature is too hot or too cold the Everstart spotlight will not operate.
Recommended accessories for use with your tool may be available from the manufacturer. If you need assistance regarding accessories, please contact the manufacturer at (877) 571-2391.
WARNING: The use of any accessory not recommended for use with this appliance could be hazardous.
Whether you need technical advice, repair, or genuine factory replacement parts, contact the manufacturer at (877) 571-2391.
TWO-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
The manufacturer warrants this product against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of TWO (2) YEARS from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Period”).
If there is a defect and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, the defective product can be replaced or repaired in the following ways: (1) Return the product to the manufacturer for repair or replacement at manufacturer’s option. Proof of purchase may be required by manufacturer. (2) Return the product to the retailer where product was purchased for an exchange (provided that the store is a participating retailer).
Returns to retailer should be made within the time period of the retailer’s return policy for exchanges only (usually 30 to 90 days after the sale). Proof of purchase may be required. Please check with the retailer for their specific return policy regarding returns that are beyond the time set for exchanges.
This warranty does not apply to accessories, bulbs, fuses and batteries; defects resulting from normal wear and tear, accidents; damages sustained during shipping; alterations; unauthorized use or repair; neglect, misuse, abuse; and failure to follow instructions for care and maintenance for the product.
This warranty gives you, the original retail purchaser, specific legal rights and you may have other rights which vary from state to state or province to province. This product is not intended for commercial use.
This device complies with part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation.
This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
Changes or modifications not approved by the party responsible for compliance could void user’s authority to operate the equipment.
- Bulb: 1 main LED bulb
- Battery: Lithium-Ion, 3.6 V DC
- Input: 5V DC, 1A
Imported by Baccus Global LLC,
621 NW 53rd St., Suite 450, Boca Raton, FL 33487 www.Baccusglobal.com 1-877-571-2391 RD041520
FAQ’s EverStart maxx SL5W09E Lumens Flashlight/Spotlight
Q: How much time does it take to charge an EverStart SL5W09E?
Q: How can I tell when the batteries in my EverStart SL5W09E are full?
Q: Is 500 lumens a bit much?
Q: Is a security light such as EverStart SL5W09E with 500 lumens bright enough?
Q: What light output is ideal for a backyard?
Q: Why does my battery of Everstart SL5W09E have a green blinking light?
Q: How can my EverStart SL5W09E battery be tested?
Q: How can I determine whether my blade is charging?
Q: Is a higher or lower lumen count preferable?
You may also want to see the manual for EverStart SL3HE Rechargeable Lithium-Ion LED Spotlight