AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure
With a focus on Thunderbolt technology, Akitio was founded in 1992 and specializes in the design, development, and production of high-end, high-quality external computer storage products and peripherals.
- 2.5” SATA-I or SATA-II hard drive
- 9.5mm or 12.5mm
- 20GB – 1TB
- USB 3.0 Super Speed (backward compatible with USB 2.0)
- Data Transfer Rate
- USB 3.0 up to 5Gbps (625MB/s) *
- USB 2.0 up to 480Mbps (60MB/s)
- USB 1.1 up to 12Mbps (1.5MB/s)
- System Requirements
- PC: Windows XP/Vista/7
- Mac: Mac OS 10.2 or above *
- Your hardware device must have the correct corresponding port (e.g. USB 3.0, USB 2.0, or PCI card).
- Operating Environment
- Temperature: 5°C ~ 40°C
- Humidity: 10%RH ~ 80%RH
- Storage Environment
- Temperature: -20°C ~ 70°C
- Humidity: 5%RH ~ 90%RH
- Power Supply (optional)
- Input: AC 100-240V, 0.6A, 50-60Hz
- Output: DC +5V/2A
- Enclosure Size
- 4.9in x 3.1in x 0.9in
- OFF = Power OFF
- Solid Blue = Power ON, status ready
- Flashing Blue = Power ON, read/write access
Hard Drive Assembly
- Remove the 4 screws located at the bottom of the case and pull out the circuit board from the enclosure.
- Install the hard drive and mount it with the two screws from the bottom through the circuit board and with the two screws from the side.
Note: Your unit may come with a pre-installed hard drive. Before opening your enclosure, please read the warranty carefully, as this could void it.
- Slide the assembled drive back into the enclosure but be careful not to damage any of the components.
- Fasten the 4 screws at the bottom of the casing to finish the assembly. Next, peel off the paper from the back of the self-adhesive rubber feet. Now, place the rubber feet over the screws and stick them on the casing to cover the screws.
Note: Be careful not to damage any components when installing the HDD!
System Set Up
If the drive has been pre-installed and set up already, you do not need to prepare anything else and can use it straight out of the box.
If you have installed the drive yourself and this is a brand new HDD, you will have to create a partition first and format the drive before it is recognized by the computer.
- Turn on your computer and start the system.
- Connect the SK-2500 to your computer. If bus power is insufficient, you will have to use the external power supply.
- The system will automatically mount the drive. PC users can access it under My Computer and Mac users on the desktop.
- If the drive does not show up, make sure it has sufficient power. Then, for PC users, use the Disk Management tool or for Mac users, the Disk Utility to prepare and format the drive. Be aware that formatting the drive will erase all existing data!
- For the safe removal of your drive and to assure that no data is lost, always eject the external drive from your system first, before you disconnect it.
Note: When not in use for longer periods, it is recommended to disconnect the device and remove the power supply from the wall socket.
Location and placing precautions
Do not cover the SK-2500 and do not place the unit on other heat-sensitive equipment. Avoid positioning it in the following places:
- Locations with direct sunlight, next to radiators or other sources of heat with high temperatures (more than 35° C) or high humidity (more than 90%).
- Locations are subject to vibration, shock, or with slope.
- Do not expose the product to water or humid conditions.
Electricity and power plug
Careful attention must be paid to the following points to avoid operational faults and electric shock or fire:
- Always connect the power adapter to your device before you plug it into the wall socket.
- When removing the power cable from the socket, always pull on the plug fixture and never on the cord.
- Do not touch the power cable with wet hands.
- Never try to repair or modify the power cable yourself.
- If the unit should emit smoke, an unusual odor, or noise, disconnect it immediately and unplug the power cable.
Use only the cables supplied or recommended by your vendor in order to avoid any sort of malfunction.
FAQs AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure
What is the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure?
The AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure is a storage device designed to provide an external enclosure for a 2.5-inch SATA hard drive or solid-state drive (SSD). It allows you to connect your drive to a computer using a USB 3.0 interface, offering fast data transfer speeds and portable storage capabilities.
What are the system requirements for using the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure?
The AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure is compatible with various operating systems, including Windows, macOS, and Linux. It supports USB 3.0, but it is also backward compatible with USB 2.0. To use the enclosure, you need a computer or device with a USB port and an available power source.
What are the data transfer speeds supported by the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure?
The AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure supports USB 3.0, which offers high-speed data transfer rates. The actual transfer speeds you achieve will depend on the performance of your hard drive or SSD and other factors such as the USB port on your computer. USB 3.0 theoretically supports speeds up to 5 Gbps (gigabits per second), but real-world speeds may be slightly lower.
Does the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure require any additional drivers or software?
In most cases, the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure does not require any additional drivers or software installation. It is designed to be plug-and-play, allowing your computer’s operating system to automatically recognize and configure the enclosure. However, it’s always a good idea to check the AKiTiO website or the product manual for any firmware updates or specific driver requirements that may apply to your system.
Can I use the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure with both Windows and macOS?
Yes, the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure is compatible with both Windows and macOS operating systems. It supports plug-and-play functionality, meaning you can connect it to a computer running either Windows or macOS, and the operating system should automatically detect and configure the enclosure without the need for additional drivers or software. This makes it versatile and convenient for users with different computer setups.
Can I use the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure with Linux?
Yes, the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure is compatible with Linux operating systems. Linux typically supports USB storage devices, including external hard drive enclosures, and should recognize the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 when connected via USB. As with Windows and macOS, it is designed to work as a plug-and-play device, requiring no additional drivers or software installation. However, it’s always a good idea to check the compatibility of specific Linux distributions or consult the manufacturer’s documentation for any potential issues or considerations.
What is the power source for the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure?
The AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure is powered through the USB connection. It typically draws power from the USB port on your computer, eliminating the need for an external power source. However, in some cases, if your hard drive or SSD requires more power than the USB port can provide, the enclosure may come with an optional power adapter. In such instances, you would need to connect the power adapter to a power outlet to supply the necessary power to the enclosure.
Can I use the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure with USB 2.0 ports?
Yes, the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure is backward compatible with USB 2.0 ports. This means you can connect the enclosure to a computer or device with a USB 2.0 port, and it will still function. However, it’s important to note that the USB 2.0 interface has lower data transfer speeds compared to USB 3.0. Therefore, if you connect the enclosure to a USB 2.0 port, you may experience slower transfer rates compared to using it with a USB 3.0 port.
Does the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure support hot-swapping?
Yes, the AKiTiO Neutrino U3 Portable Enclosure supports hot-swapping. Hot-swapping refers to the ability to connect or disconnect a drive while the computer is powered on and operating. With the AKiTiO Neutrino U3, you can safely remove or insert drives without needing to shut down or restart your computer. This feature provides convenience and flexibility when using multiple drives or when transferring data between different systems. However, it’s always recommended to properly eject the drive through the operating system before physically disconnecting it to avoid data loss or potential issues.
For more manuals, Visit Manualsdock