SilverStone Technology 500W SFX-L Form Factor Power Supply
SilverStone Technology is a well-known company in the computer hardware industry that specializes in designing and manufacturing computer components and accessories. They are particularly renowned for their high-quality computer cases, power supplies, cooling solutions, and various other PC peripherals.
SilverStone was founded in 2003 in Taiwan and has since established a solid reputation for producing innovative and aesthetically appealing products. They cater to a wide range of consumers, including PC enthusiasts, gamers, and professionals who seek reliable and high-performance hardware for their computing needs.
This specification defines the performance characteristics of a single phase 500 watts, 5output power supply. This specification also defines worldwide safety and electromagnetic compatibility requirements for the power supply which is intended for use in computer products.
- Nominal Voltage 100-240 Vrms
- Voltage Variation Range 90 – 264 Vrms
- Nominal Frequency 50-60Hz
- Frequency Variation Range 47 Hz to 63 Hz
* The power supply must operate at the above frequency with 90 – 264VACrms input voltage range.
Max. Input AC Current
- Max. Input Current 7.0A
- Measuring Range 90 – 264Vrms
The power supply must meet inrush requirements for any rated AC voltage, during turn-on at any phase of AC voltage, during a single cycle AC dropout condition, during repetitive ON/OFF cycling of AC, and over the specified temperature range. The peak inrush current shall be less than the ratings of its critical components (including input fuse, bulk rectifiers, and surge limiting device).
SST-SX500-LG provides an efficiency of 87% when measured at full load under 115V/60 and 230V/50Hz conditions.
Normal Operation Output
|Ripple P-P Max.
|Ripple & Noise P-P Max.
- Maximum continuous total DC output power should not exceed 500W.
- Maximum continuous combined load on +3.3VDC and +5VDC outputs shall not exceed 105W.
- Maximum combined load on 12V outputs shall not exceed 480W.
The noise test should be measured with a 20 MHz bandwidth frequency oscilloscope. The output terminal shall add a tantalum capacitor of 10uF in parallel with a ceramic capacitor of 0.1uF.
Remote On/Off Controlled mode
The PSON# signal is required to remotely turn on/off the power supply, PSON# is an active low signal that turns on the output power rails. When this is not pulled low by the system, or left open, the outputs (except the +5VSB) turn off. This signal is pulled to a standby voltage by a pull-up resistor internal to the power supply.
- “H” 2.0 V – 5.25 V “L” 0.0 V – 1.0 V
The cross-regulation is defined as follows, the output regulation should be within the specified range.
DC output rise time is less than 20 mS at nominal line and full load.
DC +5V output maintains at least 16mS is full 1oad after power off which hold within para 3.1 under 115V/60Hz and 230V/50Hz condition.
5VSB is required for the implementation of PS-ON described above. 5VSB is a standby voltage that may be used to power circuits that require power input during the powered-down state of all power rails. The 5 VSB pin should deliver 5V ± 5% at a minimum of 3A for PC board circuits to operate. Conversely, the PC board should draw no more than 3A maximum from this pin. This power may be used to operate circuits such as soft power control.
PG-OK is a power good signal and should be asserted high by the power supply to indicate that the +5 VDC and +3.3 VDC outputs are above the under-voltage thresholds of the power supply. When this signal is asserted high, there should be sufficient mains energy stored by the converter to guarantee continuous power operation within specification. Conversely, when either the +5VDC or the +3.3VDC output voltage falls below the under-voltage threshold, or when mains power has been removed for a time sufficiently long so that power supply operation is no longer guaranteed, PG-OK should be de-asserted to a low state. See Figure 1 for a representation of the timing characteristics of the PG-OK, PS-ON, and germane power rail signals.
A default 3.3V sense line should be implemented on pin 13 of the connector.
The power supply should be able to power up and operate normally with the following capacitances simultaneously present on the DC outputs.
|Capacitive load (uF)
In the primary circuit of the power supply, a protected fuse is inserted. Only the internal fault of the power supply will cause the fuse to blow. Any overload or short circuit at DC output will keep from fuse brown or fire hazard.
- Under voltage protection
The +5V/+3.3V DC output is protected against the voltage condition. range value can’t be exceed 3.3~3.7V at 5V terminal and 2.0~2.4V at 3.3V.
- Over Voltage Protection The +5V/+12V/+3.3V DC output is protected against the overvoltage condition. The maximum value can’t be over 6.5V at a 5V terminal and 16.0V at 12V, 4.5V at 3.3V.
- Over Power Protection The power supply can be used in the electronic circuit to limit the output current against exceeding 50% of surge output power or protected against excessive power delivery since the short circuit of any output or over total power at a high line.
- Short Circuit Protection Short circuit placed on +5V,+12V,+3.3V,-12V will latch off. +5VSB will auto-recovery.
- No Load Start When power is applied to SST-SX500-LG with no load connected or under minimum load connected, neither damage to the power supply nor hazards to users will occur.
- Cold Start The power supply shall operate properly when first applied at normal input voltage and or so maximum load after 4 hours of storage in a 0℃ environment.
Temperature and Humidity
0 to 40 C
|20 to 90 %
-40 to 70 C
|20 to 95 % non-condensing
The power supply can operate normally at any altitude between 0 to 10000 feet.
Vibration and Shock
Sweep and resonance search for each of the X, Y, and Z, axis at the sweep. RATE of 1/OCTAVE/Min.
Safety Requirement CE
- Leakage Current The AC leakage current is less than 3.5mA when the power supply connects to 253Vac/50Hz.
- Insulation Resistance The insulation resistance should be not less than 30M ohm after applying 500VDC for 1 minute.
- Dielectric Voltage Withstand The power supply shall withstand for 1 minute without breakdown the application of a 60Hz 1500V AC voltage applied between both the input line and chassis (20mA DC cut-off current). The main transformer shall similarly withstand 3000Vac applied between both primary and secondary windings for a minimum of one minute.
Power Good Signal
A TTL-compatible signal for the purpose of initiating an orderly start-up procedure under normal input operating conditions. During power up, this signal is asserted ( low ) until +5V is under regulation and AC reaches min. line specification range. After all voltages are going appropriate level, the system may have a turn-on delay of 100mS, but no greater than 500mS. During power off the signal should go to a low level before +5V is out of regulation. The low level is 0 to 0.8V and the high level is 4.75 to 5.25V. The ” Power Good ” signal can drive up to 6 standard TTL loads.
- T1: Turn on time ( 2 sec. Max.)
- T2: Rise time ( ≦ 20mS Max.)
- T3: Power good turn-on delay time ( 100 < T3 < 500 mS )
- T4: Switch on time (0.5 sec. Max.)
- T5: Power good turn-off delay time ( 1.0 mS Min.) PS-ON/OFF
- T6: Power hold-up time (16 mS Min.)
- Power on-off cycle: When the power supply is turned off for a minimum of 2.0 sec. and turn it on again, the power good signal will be asserted.
The MTBF of the power should be 100,000 hours min.
The product shall meet requirements for EN61000-3-2 & EN61000-3-3:2003 standard of class D, test at 230Vac 50Hz.
The power supply with active power factor correction, and meet the EN61000-3-2 standards, The power factor is greater than 0.95 at 230V/50Hz, Max. load.
125 mm (W) × 63.5 mm (H) × 130 mm (D)
FAQs SilverStone Technology 500W SFX-L Form Factor Power Supply
What exactly does SFX mean?
The term “SFX” can refer to any special effect, but it is most frequently used to refer to sound effects in movies and television. In cinema and video, sound effects and special effects are utilized to affect the audience’s emotions and responses.
Does SilverStone produce quality PSUs?
Excellent PSUs are made by SilverStone. For the past ten years, I’ve utilized SilverStone Tek PSUs. One was installed in an Alienware box starting around 2005, and I purchased a second one in 2011 since I thought a PSU that had lasted in a powerful gaming PC for around 6 years was plenty for me.
What SFX L PSU has the most power?
Is it possible to have an SFX unit with a 1300W maximum power? Yes! The V1300 SFX is the most powerful SFX unit currently on the market, thanks to Cooler Master.
An SFX power supply’s size?
Typically measuring 125 x 63.5 x 100 mm, SFX PSUs are smaller than ATX or EPS PSUs and can fit in some mini-ITX or micro-ATX cases.
Which one, SFX or SFX-L, is smaller?
Thus, an SFX-L power supply has dimensions of 125 x 125 x 63.5 mm as opposed to a standard SFX power supply’s constant measurement of 100 x 125 x 63.5 mm.
Do SFX power supplies cost more?
Power supplies with lower wattages are often less expensive and can be found for well under $100. Unfortunately, the fact that this is an SFX unit makes it more expensive than ATX 600W PSUs due to the unit’s specialized nature.
Is Silverstone a quick track?
Since holding the first Formula 1 World Championship round on May 13, 1950, the Grand Prix Track layout has undergone numerous alterations to create a difficult and quick circuit. The National Circuit, the smallest of Silverstone’s three tracks, can host some of the most thrilling racing the venue hosts each year.
Can my PSU have too much power?
The idea that a high wattage power supply will push too much power into your devices, leading to overheating and burnout, is unfounded. Only the necessary wattage will be supplied by the power supply.
Is SFX superior to ATX?
The smaller size of SFX PSUs allows them to run cooler than bigger ATX PSUs, which reduces the need for huge fans that may be noisy and annoying while gaming or working on difficult activities like video editing or streaming. SFX PSUs not only save space but also have additional advantages.
Can an ATX motherboard use an SFX power supply?
No, as long as the wires are long enough to reach every component, you may use an SFX PSU in any case size.
[embeddoc url=”https://manualsdock.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/SilverStone-Technology-500W-SFX-L-Form-Factor-Power-Supply.pdf” download=”all”]