NESCO is a renowned brand offering quality kitchen appliances, including roasters, dehydrators, and pressure cookers. With a history dating back to the 1930s, they provide durable and innovative products for convenient and flavorful cooking.
- READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS.
- To protect against risk of electrical shock, DO NOT put appliance in water or other liquid.
- DO NOT touch hot surfaces. Use handles, knobs or oven mitts.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children. This appliance is NOT recommended for use by children.
- Unplug from outlet when not in use, before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning.
- Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts.
- Avoid contact with moving parts.
- Never put the unit near a hot burner or in an oven.
- DO NOT operate the appliance for any other purpose than the intended use. DO NOT use electrical equipment with a damaged cord or plug or after the appliance malfunctions, is dropped or damaged in any manner. Return unit to the nearest authorized service center for examination, repair, or adjustment.
- DO NOT use outdoors.
- DO NOT let cord hang over edge of table or counter, contact sharp edges, or touch hot surfaces.
- DO NOT pull on the power cord to disconnect.
- Never plug in the appliance where water may flood the area.
- Place the appliance on a firm and stable surface.
- Ensure that the appliance is not placed close to the edge of the table, worktop, etc. where it can be pushed off or fall.
- The use of attachments not recommended or sold by the manufacturer may cause fire, electric shock or injury.
- NEVER use abrasive cleaning agents or abrasive cloths when cleaning the unit.
- Only use the unit when completely assembled.
- DO NOT leave the appliance unattended while it is running.
- Before using for the first time, remove all packaging and wash parts.
- This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug will fit in a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit the outlet perfectly, reverse the plug. If it should still not fit, contact a qualified electrician. Do not modify the plug in any way.
- Prior to unplugging unit, turn power off.
- Do not place on or near hot gas, electric burner or in a heated oven.
- Extreme caution must be used when moving an appliance containing hot oil or other hot liquids.
- To disconnect, turn any control to “off”, then remove plug from wall outlet.
- CAUTION: Turn unit on and off using timer or On/Off button only.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
OVERVIEW OF COMPONENTS
- LID HANDLE
- STEAM RELEASE VENT
- BODY HANDLES
- STAINLESS STEEL BODY
- CONTROL PANEL
- LOWER BODY BASE
- REMOVABLE SILICONE LID GASKET
- REMOVABLE INNER POT (Non-Stick Interior)
- STEAMING RACK
- CANNING RACK
- REMOVABLE CONDENSATION CATCHER
- BLACK PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE – 10 PSI (Low Altitudes)
- GREEN PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE – 15 PSI (For Use at Elevations Higher Than 1,000 Ft. Above Sea Level)
OVERVIEW OF COMPONENTS
VENT STEM SUBASSEMBLY
Vent parts can be disassembled for cleaning purposes. NOTE: Remove the inner vent cap periodically and check the vent assembly. Tighten nut as needed.
- On the outside of the lid, place a washer over the vent hole and insert the vent stem.
- On the inside of the lid, slide the silicone washer, vent cap clip, and washer over the vent stem.
- Attach the nut to the end of the vent stem and tighten it securely. Place the vent cap over the assembly and attach to the vent cap clip.
PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE SUBASSEMBLY
- Insert one end of the u-clip into the underside of the limiting valve. Push the other end of the clip inwards and down to lock into place.
BEFORE FIRST USE
- Remove packaging materials such as cardboard, plastics or styrofoam and discard appropriately.
- Wipe clean all the parts with a soft damp cloth or sponge and dry thoroughly.
- DO NOT immerse in water or place in dishwasher.
- The GASKET sets in behind the wire guide. Before your first use, gently pull the GASKET out. (IMAGE 1)
- Hand wash in warm soapy water. Dry, then firmly press the GASKET back in behind the wire guide. Make sure the GASKET is properly installed into the groove inside the LID. (IMAGE 2)
HOW TO OPEN THE LID
When the LID of the cooker is at the “Closed-Lid Position”, hold the LID HANDLE and turn it about 1/8 of a turn clockwise (IMAGE 3), until you reach the “Open-Lid Position”. Lift up on the LID HANDLE.
For brand-new units, the seal of the LID may be slightly stronger than normal and may be slightly difficult to unlock. Once the LID has been opened and closed several times, it will loosen up.
HOW TO CLOSE THE LID
When the LID of the cooker is in vertical position hold the handle and close it downwards at the “Open-Lid Position”. After that, turn it in a counterclockwise direction until you reach the “Closed-Lid Position”.
IMPORTANT: The lid must be closed and turned to the “Closed-Lid” position for the control panel settings to function. If the lid is not turned to the closed position, the display will illuminate the word “LID” and beep three times continuously. (IMAGE 1)
HOW TO DISMANTLE THE LID
When the LID of the cooker is in the upright vertical position, hold the LID with both hands, and adjust the height between the LID and the upper edge of the cooker to around 4 inches (IMAGE 4). Then turn it in a counterclockwise direction until you reach the “Closed-Lid Position” (IMAGE 5). Then lift the LID up and away from the SMART CANNER body (IMAGE 6).
WARNING – Hot steam will periodically be released out of the STEAM RELEASE VENT. Be sure nothing is directly above this area when using the “Smart Canner”.
Unit may bypass the E10 countdown if proper temperature and pressure is already reached.
NEVER fill a pressure cooker more than 4/5 full with food. Also, don’t pack food tightly into a pressure cooker. These practices may cause the pressure cooker to operate incorrectly which will affect the outcome of your food.
Before you start select the BLACK LIMITING PRESSURE VALVE for all usage unless you are located at altitudes above 1,000 feet above sea level. At altitudes higher than 1,000 feet above sea level always use the GREEN LIMITING PRESSURE VALVE.
For general rules on safe canning guidelines please reference: https://nchfp.uga.edu/
For the USDA’s Complete Guide to Home Canning and tested recipes please reference: https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html and follow their instructions precisely also look for Nesco pressure canner troubleshooting.
Pressure cooking is an easy way to seal in the flavor and nutrition of your favorite foods. You can cook single foods like corn on the cob or rice, or an entire pot roast dinner.
- Press the “PRESSURE COOK” function button on the front control panel.
- Add the ingredients from your favorite recipe.
- Close the LID, turn the LID about a 1/8 turn counterclockwise into the “Closed-Lid” position. Set the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE to the “AIRTIGHT” position.
- Press the TIME (+) to set time for what the recipe calls for.
- Press “START” to start the process. The display will circle until the internal pressure is reached. You may notice some clicks as the unit heats up, this is normal. Once the internal pressure is reached, the “Cooking Time” will start counting down to “000” and beep 3 times.
- CAREFULLY move the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE to the EXHAUST position. A large amount of steam will be released from the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE, so make sure to keep your face, body and fingers away from the steam.
- Once the steam has been released, turn the LID HANDLE a 1/8 turn clockwise and open the LID.
Sometimes it’s a desired option to slow-cook dinners instead of pressure cooking. The “SMART CANNER” allows this option. Simply add your favorite ingredients to the inner pot. Remember not to exceed the 4/5 height rule for filling the cook pot.
- Press the “SLOW COOK” function button on the front panel.
- The Cooking Time display will show 30 minutes, which can be adjusted up (+) or down (-), to a max of 600 minutes (10 hours).
- Close the LID, turn the LID about a 1/8 turn counterclockwise into the “Closed-Lid” position.
- Set the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE to EXHAUST so the pressure does not build up inside the cooker while slow cooking. You will still seal in liquids for moisture to create the perfect slow-cooking environment.
- Press “START” to begin cooking. The “Smart Canner” will beep three times once the time has finished.
Consider browning meats that will be slow-cooked first by using the BROWN function on the SMART CANNER. It is usually not necessary to add cooking oil or butter to the bottom of the INNER POT when browning meats, but a small amount of liquids such as water, soup stock or fruit juices can help when SLOW COOKING. There are many resources for slow-cooking recipes, which can easily be adapted to use with the “Smart Canner”.
The SMART CANNER is versatile enough to handle browning meats prior to slow cooking or pressure cooking. Browning meats help release and develop the flavors you expect and appreciate. The browning function on the SMART CANNER acts similar to a standard fry pan.
- Press the “BROWN” function on the control panel.
NOTE: DO NOT close the LID while browning.
- Place meat into the INNER POT. It is not necessary to add butter or cooking oil, unless desired for flavor.
- Turn and brown the meat as you would as if using a fry pan.
NOTE: You can brown an entire roast, or cut up meat into smaller pieces before browning for stews.
Avoid using metal utensils on the INNER POT, as you may damage the non-stick surface.
Steaming foods offers a great way to save time, energy and nutritional benefits. Steamed foods don’t require cooking oils, which can save both money and unwanted calories. The steaming process keeps the foods from coming in direct contact with boiling water, so foods cook evenly and gently in their own juices. Nutrients are less likely to be swept away in boiling water. Nearly all meats, vegetables, pasta, rice and seafood can be steamed.
- Instant rice can be steamed, but long-grain rice is best pressure cooked.
- Check your foods occasionally for the desired doneness.
- When cooking several different types of foods, put the items that have the longest cook time toward the bottom of the INNER POT.
HOW TO STEAM FOODS:
- Place the CANNING RACK into the INNER POT.
- Fill with hot water to the rack level. (approximately 4 cups)
- Place the STEAM TRAY over the rack.
- Press the “WB/STEAM” function on the control panel.
- Add foods that you wish to steam, not exceeding the 4/5 fill rule of pressure cooking.
- Close the LID, turn counterclockwise a 1/8 turn, set the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE to the EXHAUST position.
- Press the “TIME” (+) to set time for what the recipe calls for. (Use chart on the next page as a common guide.)
- Press the “START” button.
- Digital Dial Chase will begin to rotate. You will see a constant stream of steam coming from the PRESSURE EXHAUST VALVE when boil has been reached.
- Press “START” again when the constant stream of steam is seen. This will activate the timer.
- CAUTION: DO NOT HIT THE START BUTTON A 3RD TIME. This will result in the unit shutting off.
Approximate Steaming Times for Vegetables
Ready to enjoy home canning with the SMART CANNER?
Few things are more satisfying than opening a jar of something you’ve canned yourself. Home canning has a long and important legacy for families. You’ll be able to take advantage of many benefits by canning your own fruits and vegetables. It’s more than just the great taste of produce you’ve preserved at their peak, it’s the health benefits of controlling what goes in the foods you eat. Plus, it’s a step toward self-sufficiency. You can enjoy the taste of your garden all year! Home-canned products make thoughtful and healthy gifts. The SMART CANNER helps make the process easy and safe. Digital controls will make the process easier, even for first-time home canners. The process of pressure canning safely eliminates and protects against unwanted microorganisms. We’ve included some tips on the basics of canning. Feel free to explore the many recipe resources available online or through your local library. Join a club and learn even more.
BASIC CANNING TIPS
- We highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the canning procedures, the different acid levels of fresh foods and FDA guidelines that can be found on the Internet. http://nchfp.uga.edu/
- There are a wide variety of products that can be successfully canned. However, not every food item is suitable. Check for recipes before proceeding.
- Follow recipe directions carefully.
- Select jar sizes in servings that you and your family will be able to consume in a timely manner. Make sure there are no small chips along the top of jars that would prevent adequate sealing. With proper care, canning jars can be reused for many years. NEVER ATTEMPT TO REUSE LIDS.
- Some handy items that you may normally need include saucepans, measuring cups and measuring spoons, sharp kitchen knives, large spoons or ladles, cutting boards, non-metallic spatula, funnels, jar lifters, oven gloves and clean rags. Also, adhesive labels can add a nice look to your final product.
- Make sure all utensils, jars and lids are thoroughly clean before canning. It’s best to keep your newly cleaned jars warm to help reduce chance of breakage caused by temperature changes when adding hot foods.
- The “Smart Canner” can seal jars through both pressure canning and water bath techniques—check with your recipe for the suggested method.
- Follow guidelines for safety procedures from canning jar and lid manufacturers. Never use jars that are not designed for home canning.
- Seasonings intensify during canning, err on the side of caution. Do not use Sage as it gets bitter.
HOW TO CAN WITH THE “SMART CANNER”
The SMART CANNER comes with 2 racks to use during the canning process. The CANNING RACK must be used to keep the canning jars off the bottom of the INNER POT. The STEAMING RACK can be used as a separation layer when stacking smaller size jars.
The SMART CANNER will hold and process:
- Up to 4 Quarts (WIDE MOUTH jars) or
- Up to 5 Pints (WIDE MOUTH jars) or
- 16 – 4 oz jelly jars at a time
There are many varieties of canning jars available. Not all will fit perfectly into the Smart Canner. Please use WIDE MOUTH canning jars for best results. QUART-size jars cannot be used with the Water Bath function.
Botulism spores must be killed at temperatures higher than boiling water (pressure canned) or by extreme pH balance found in vinegar of pickled vegetables or sweet jams and jellies (water bath).
WATER BATH (WB)
It is important in water bath canning, that the jars be covered with water. If your jars are too tall, you should use the LOW-pressure setting. This allows the use of much less water and gives you more flexibility on the types of jars that can be used. It is recommended to use WIDE MOUTH canning jars, designed for use in canning, to fit within the canner when top is closed.
QUART-size jars cannot be used with the Water Bath function.
High-acid foods such as fruits, pickles and tomatoes prohibit the development of harmful bacteria better than low-acid foods. Therefore, water bath canning can be used to preserve these foods.
- Prepare your products following your recipe, following Federal Food and Drug Administration guidelines.
- Place food in canning jars and hand tighten following jar manufacturer guidelines.
- Place the CANNING RACK into the bottom of the INNER POT. Set your filled jars on the CANNING RACK.
- Fill the INNER POT with water so that the jars are completely covered.
- Close LID and ensure the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE is set to EXHAUST.
CONTROL PANEL USE FOR WB
- Press the “WB/STEAM” button on top left of control panel.
- Press the TIME (+) to set time for what recipe calls for.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE is set to EXHAUST.
- Next press the “START”button. DO NOT press the Pressure Cook button at the bottom of control panel.
- Digital Dial Chase will begin to rotate. The unit should begin to boil in 20-25 minutes. You will see a constant stream of steam coming from the PRESSURE EXHAUST VALVE when boil has been reached.
- Press “START” again when the constant stream of steam is seen. This will activate the timer.
- CAUTION: DO NOT HIT THE START BUTTON A 3RD TIME. This will result in the unit shutting off.
If you see Err, an error has occurred. A common reason for seeing an error code is that the START button was not pressed a second time when the Water Bath came to a boil. The unit is designed to time out after 45 minutes without a second START button being pressed. We recommend that if this occurs, reprocess high-acid foods or treat as open and eat them immediately. For low acids foods, reprocess the ingredients or discard them immediately.
WHEN BOILING IS COMPLETE:
- Carefully turn the LID clockwise 1/8 turn and open the LID.
- Carefully remove the jars from SMART CANNER; the jar’s lids will “pop” as they cool and seal.
PRESSURE CANNING (HIGH & LOW)
The following instructions are for high-pressure canning for low-acid foods. The Smart Canner makes pressure canning safe and easy. You can HIGH PRESSURE CAN most vegetables, fruits, sauces, meats, and soup stocks. Refer to the USDA’s Complete Guide to Home Canning for tested recipes and follow their instructions for Nesco pressure canner troubleshooting precisely. https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html
- Place your filled jars to be canned onto the canning rack in the Inner Pot.
- Add 8 cups of hot water.
- Close and lock the Lid. Attach the proper PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE to the LID.
- Select the “HIGH” button from the Control Panel.
- Press the “TIME” button to set the canning recipe required process time.
- Set the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE to “EXHAUST”.
- Press “START” to begin the canning process.
The Digital Dial Chase will begin to rotate and this will continue until the correct internal temperature is reached which can take up to 30 minutes.
Steam will begin venting through the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE, this is normal. Once the pressure canner reaches the correct internal temperature, the canner will
beep once, and the Control Panel LED Display will read “E10”. The pre-set “E10” code means: (E) for exhaust mode and (10) equals the number of minutes that will count down.
- The pressure canner will automatically countdown from “E10” to “E0”. Once the Control Panel LED Display shows a blinking “E0” the canner will beep once. At this time the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE must be set to “Airtight”. Once the canner resumes, the Control Panel will beep again. The required process time entered earlier will now start to count down. During this time your canner will begin to release steam even though the PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE is set to “Airtight”, this is normal. The weighted venting ensures a consistent internal PSI. When the countdown procedure is complete, the canner will beep three times and the Control Panel LED Display will read “OFF”.
NOTE: Unit may bypass the E10 countdown if proper temperature and pressure is already reached.
If the Pressure Limiting Valve is not set to “Airtight” after the process time countdown reaches “E0” and beeps once, the canner will then countdown and beep after 5 minutes has passed. The canner will then countdown for an additional 5 minutes. The canner will then beep, and the Control Panel LED Display will then display an “EEE” code and power down.
- Unplug the pressure canner and allow the temperature and pressure inside the canner to gradually decrease, do not manually release the pressure. The canner should be allowed to cool for one hour before attempting to open the lid. The canning process is now complete. Carefully remove the jars; the jar’s lids will “pop” as they cool and seal.
* If you see an “Err” or “EEE” code displayed on your Control Panel LED Display at any time an error has occurred. IF THIS OCCURS, REPROCESS HIGH-ACID INGREDIENTS OR TREAT AS OPEN AND EAT IMMEDIATELY. FOR LOW ACID FOODS, REPROCESS THE INGREDIENTS OR DISCARD IMMEDIATELY.
BLACK PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE – 10 PSI (For Use at Low Altitudes, 1,000 Ft. or Below) GREEN PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE – 15 PSI (For Use at Elevations Higher Than 1,000 Ft. Above Sea Level)
ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
The Metal Ware Corporation warrants the original purchaser that your product will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of one year from date of purchase. Product must be used for personal or sole household usage in accordance with the instructions and Nesco pressure canner troubleshooting. Should your product prove defective within one year from date of purchase, contact our customer service team at 1-800-288-4545 with an explanation of the claim.
If a viable warranty claim is determined, a customer service member will provide you with the necessary details to have your unit repaired or replaced. Under this limited warranty, we undertake to repair or replace any parts found to be defective at our sole discretion. This limited warranty is void if the unit is connected to an unsuitable electrical supply or dismantled or interfered with in any way or damaged through misuse. This warranty is not transferable.
LIMITATION OF REMEDIES AND DAMAGES: Except for the limited warranty and remedies expressly stated above, the Metal Ware Corp shall not be liable to you, or to anyone claiming by or through you, for any obligations or liabilities, including, but not limited to, obligations or liabilities arising out of breach of contract, breach of warranty, statutory claims, negligence or other tort or any theory of strict liability, with respect to the product or the Metal Ware Corp’s acts or omissions or otherwise. Buyer agrees that in no event shall the Metal Ware Corp be liable for incidental, compensatory, punitive, consequential, indirect, special or other damages.
Warranty does not cover consequential or incidental damages such as property damage and does not cover incidental costs and expenses resulting from any breach of this warranty, even if foreseeable. Some states or provinces do not allow the exclusion or limitations of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you depending on the State or Province of purchase. We ask that you kindly fill in the details on your warranty card and return it within one week from date of purchase.
Send warranty card to:
NPC-9 / NESCO Smart Canner
PO Box 237
Two Rivers, WI 54241-0237
FAQs about NESCO NPC-9 Smart Electric Pressure Cooker and Canner
Q: What is the NESCO NPC-9 Smart Electric Pressure Cooker and Canner?
A: The NESCO NPC-9 is a smart electric pressure cooker and canner that combines the functions of a pressure cooker and a canner into one appliance. It is designed to cook food quickly and efficiently while also providing a safe and convenient method for canning fruits, vegetables, and other preserves.
Q: What is the capacity of the NESCO NPC-9?
A: The NESCO NPC-9 has a capacity of 9 quarts, which is suitable for cooking and canning large quantities of food.
Q: Is the NESCO NPC-9 easy to use?
A: Yes, the NESCO NPC-9 is designed to be user-friendly. It features intuitive controls and a digital display for easy programming and monitoring. The smart technology also simplifies the cooking process by providing preset options for different food types.
Q: Is it safe to use the NESCO NPC-9?
A: Yes, the NESCO NPC-9 is designed with safety in mind. It has multiple safety mechanisms, such as a locking lid, pressure release valve, and automatic pressure control. These features ensure that the pressure is regulated and released properly, minimizing the risk of accidents.
Q: Can I use the NESCO NPC-9 for canning?
A: Yes, the NESCO NPC-9 is specifically designed to be used as a pressure canner. It meets the requirements for safe pressure canning, allowing you to preserve various types of food in jars.
Q: Are there any accessories included with the NESCO NPC-9?
A: Yes, the NESCO NPC-9 usually comes with a few accessories, such as a removable non-stick cooking insert, a condensation drip cup, a canning rack, and a steam rack. However, the exact accessories included may vary, so it’s best to check the product specifications or packaging.
Q: Can I find recipes specifically designed for the NESCO NPC-9?
A: Yes, NESCO provides a recipe book and user manual with the NPC-9 that includes a variety of recipes to help you get started. Additionally, you can find recipes online or in cookbooks that are suitable for electric pressure cookers, which can be adapted for use with the NPC-9.
Q: Is the NESCO NPC-9 dishwasher safe?
A: The cooking pot and the lid of the NESCO NPC-9 are generally dishwasher safe. However, it’s always best to consult the product manual for specific instructions regarding the dishwasher safety of each component.
Q: Where can I purchase the NESCO NPC-9 Smart Electric Pressure Cooker and Canner?
A: The NESCO NPC-9 can be purchased from various retailers both online and in physical stores. Some popular places to check for availability include online marketplaces, appliance stores, and the official NESCO website.
Pdf – NESCO NPC-9 Smart Electric Pressure Cooker and Canner User Manual
[embeddoc url=”https://manualsdock.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/NESCO-NPC-9-Smart-Electric-Pressure-Cooker-and-Canner-User-Manual.pdf” download=”all”]
For More Manuals Visit: ManualsDock
- Ninja OS101 Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure Cooker and Air Fryer User Guide