Sharper Image PORTAL XT Airbar Window Fan
About Sharper Image
Sharper Image is a well-known American brand that specializes in selling a wide variety of innovative and high-tech products. The company was founded in 1977 by Richard Thalheimer with the goal of offering unique and cutting-edge consumer products that cater to various aspects of modern living. The brand gained popularity for its upscale, high-quality gadgets, electronics, and lifestyle products.
Throughout its history, Sharper Image has offered products ranging from electronic gadgets, personal care items, home appliances, audio and video equipment, massage chairs, air purifiers, and much more. Many of their products incorporate advanced technology and design, often focusing on improving convenience, entertainment, and well-being.
READ AND SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
This owner’s guide and any additional inserts are considered part of the product. They contain important information about safety, use, and disposal. Before using the product, please familiarize yourself with all operating and safety instructions. Please keep all documents for future reference and pass these documents on, together with the product, to any future owner. See sihomecomfort.com to view, download and print the most current version of these instructions.
This product is intended to circulate indoor and outdoor air only in a window installation in the United States and Canada. This product is not intended for commercial or industrial use. The manufacturer assumes no responsibility for damage or injury due to unauthorized use or product modification. Failure to follow these directions will void the product warranty.
Risk to Children and Impaired Persons.
Supervision is required during the installation, operation, cleaning, and maintenance of this product by children 12 years of age and younger and anyone with reduced physical, sensory, or mental capabilities. Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance, its parts, and packaging material.
To reduce the risk of fire, electrical shock, and injury to persons, observe the following:
- This product is intended for window installation only. Only use with product controls facing indoors (not exposed to elements). Do not use this product in a manner other than indicated by the manufacturer in the window installation instructions below.
- Pull back and secure all curtains and draperies and place this product away from tablecloths, blankets, and other fabrics, since they may be drawn into the fan, damage the motor, and/or cause a fire.
- No part of this product (the appliance, power cord, plug, packaging, etc.) should be placed near furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, or other high-temperature heat sources. Do not use this product on an uneven or unstable surface.
- The power cord and plug cannot come into contact with water. Do not use this product on wet surfaces. Do not use this product in a bathtub or shower or position the product where it may fall into a bathtub, laundry, swimming pool, or other water container.
- Do not run the cord under the carpeting. Do not cover the cord with throw rugs, runners, or similar coverings. Do not route the cord under furniture or appliances. Arrange the cord away from the traffic area so that it will not be tripped over. The cord should not hang over the edges of counters or be placed where it can be crimped or closed in doors. Place appliance near an easily accessible outlet so the product can be unplugged quickly during an emergency.
SAFE USE WARNING—To reduce the risk of fire, electrical shock, and injury to persons, observe the following:
- WARNING: To reduce the likelihood of circuit overload, fire, and electric shock, do
not operate with a solid-state speed device, such as a dimmer control switch.
- Do not operate any fan with a damaged cord or plug. Discard the fan or return it to an authorized service facility for examination and/or repair.
- Do not operate the unit if the unit has been dropped or damaged. Do not use this product if it has a damaged power cord or plugs. To avoid the risk of electrical shock, do not attempt to repair or replace parts. Only original replacement
parts may be used. If the power cord is damaged, it must be replaced by the manufacturer, its service agent, or similarly qualified persons in order to avoid a hazard. Contact (833.800.8669) or (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further instructions about replacement and repair.
- Before plugging the power cord into an electrical outlet, be sure that all electrical information on the rating label, including voltage, is compatible with your outlet’s power supply.
- Never use the cord as a handle or otherwise yank, strain, or stretch the power cord.
- Do not sit or stand on the product.
- While the product is plugged in, do not insert or allow foreign objects to enter any input or output opening as this may cause a risk of electric shock or fire, or damage to the product.
- A loose fit between the wall outlet (receptacle) and the plug may cause overheating and distortion of the plug. Discontinue use of the product in this outlet. Contact a qualified electrician to replace loose or worn outlets.
- This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other.) To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit in a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully in the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to defeat this safety feature.
- Before moving, repositioning, servicing, cleaning, and when not in use, use the product controls to turn off the power and then unplug. To disconnect from the outlet, grasp and pull only the plug. Also, power off and unplug if the product will be left unattended for an extended period of time or during electrical storms.
SERVICING WARNING—To reduce the risk of fire, electrical shock, and injury to persons, observe the following:
- Clean your product regularly, only as instructed in this manual. Prior to cleaning, turn off the power on your product and unplug it. Do not use gasoline, thinners, solvents, ammonia, or other chemicals for cleaning. Refer to the CLEANING instructions provided.
- Do not open appliance housing. To avoid the risk of shock, all service and/or repairs must be done by an Authorized Service Center.
- This product employs overload protection (fuse). A blown fuse indicates an overload or short-circuit situation. If the fuse blows, unplug the product from the outlet. Replace the fuse as per the user servicing instructions (follow product marking for proper fuse rating) and check the product. If the replacement fuse blows, a short-circuit may be present and the product should be discarded or returned to an authorized service facility for examination and/or repair.
User Servicing Instructions
- Using the product controls, turn off the appliance.
- Grasp the plug (not the cord) and disconnect from the outlet.
- Risk of Fire. Replace fuse only with 2.5 Amp, 125 Volt fuse as approved by Consumer Service. For an authorized replacement fuse, please contact Consumer Service.
- Once the replacement is received, use a small flat-head screwdriver to slide open the fuse cover (located on the plug) (See next page, Fig. A).
- Remove the fuse by using the screwdriver to gently lift each end of the fuse (See next page, Fig. B).
- Install the replacement fuse by using the screwdriver to gently push each metal end of the fuse into the receptacle one at a time. Do not push on the center of the fuse—it is fragile and may break.
- Slide the fuse cover closed using the screwdriver. When closed, the cover should fit completely in the plug. No part of the cover should stick out (See next page, Fig. C).
- Plug your appliance into the outlet and turn the power on.
- If the replacement fuse blows, a short-circuit may be present and the product should be discarded or returned to an authorized service facility for examination and/or repair.
Risk of fire. Do not replace the attachment plug. Contains a safety device (fuse, AFCI, LCDI) that should not be removed. Discard the product if the attachment plug is damaged.
FCC Compliance Statement
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications.
However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and the receiver.
- Connect the equipment to an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Contact Customer Service or a dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help
This Class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003.
Changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment. Supplier’s FCC Declaration of Conformity
Unique Identifier: Sharper Image Models PORTAL, PORTAL XT
Responsible Party: Vornado Air LLC
Mailing Address : 415 E. 13th St., Andover, KS 67002
Your product includes the following:
- Fan Body
- Foam Breeze Block (2)
- Foam Breeze Block (2)
- Foam Breeze Block (2)
The PORTAL has been designed for use with single-hung and double-hung windows. It will accommodate windows 24 to 38 inches wide and require a window opening of at least 8 inches tall.
FOR HORIZONTAL INSTALLATION ONLY. DO NOT ATTEMPT VERTICAL WINDOW INSTALLATION.
DURING PRODUCT AND FOAM BLOCK INSTALLATION, KEEP ONE HAND ON THE PRODUCT AT ALL TIMES.
- We recommend keeping the window screen in place.
- Center the PORTAL in the window, ensuring that the foam on the bottom of the product is snugly secured in the bottom of the window casing.
- Close the window to secure the product in place.
- Tuck the optional Foam Breeze Blocks on either side of the product, tucking them securely into the window casing.
Route the power cord as needed, using the clips provided to secure the cord in place.
- Press to power the unit ON or OFF.
- 2. Select desired speed by pressing or. There are three (3) speeds: LOW, MEDIUM, and HIGH. Speed is indicated by the number of Fan Speed Lights illuminated.
- 3. Press to change from direct airflow to exhaust. Touch the button again to change from exhaust to direct airflow.
CLEANING & STORAGE
Your fan will need regular cleaning. The fan has no user-serviceable parts inside and cannot be opened for cleaning. Never clean the product in any manner other than instructed in this owner’s guide.
To reduce the risk of electrical shock and injury to persons, unplug the unit before cleaning.
- Power off and unplug the unit prior to cleaning.
- Dust or wipe the fan with a damp cloth.
- Use the brush attachment on your household vacuum cleaner to vacuum any accumulated dust.
During the off-season or after extended periods of non-use, you may choose to store your fan. To ensure long life of the product, it is recommended to store your fan by following these instructions:
- Unplug the power cord and bundle it loosely.
- Cover, or place back in retail carton if available. This prevents the fan from accumulating dust over time.
- Store the fan in a cool and dry location.
To order replacement foam blocks, please contact Sharper Image consumer service at:
If you’re not satisfied with this product, let us know.
Vornado Air, LLC warrants to the original consumer or purchaser that this Sharper Image® Fan (“Product”) is free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase. If any such defect is discovered within the warranty period, Vornado, at its discretion, will repair or replace the Product at no cost.
For warranty or repair service: Call 833-800-8669 or email email@example.com to obtain a Return Authorization (“RA”) form. Please have or include your Product’s model number and serial number, as well as your name, address, city, state, zip code, and phone number when contacting Vornado for warranty service. To file a contactless warranty claim, visit sihomecomfort.com/contact.
After receiving the RA form, ship your Product to: Vornado Air LLC Attn: Warranty & mRepair 415 East 13th Street Andover, KS 67002. For your convenience, please have your model number and serial number when contacting Vornado with service inquiries. To assure proper handling, packages must be clearly marked with the RA number. Packages not clearly marked with the RA number may be refused at the receiving dock. Please allow 1-2 weeks for repair and return of your Product after the Product is received.
Repairs not covered by the warranty or outside the warranty period will require a fee to cover the cost of materials, labor, handling, and shipping.
This warranty does not apply to defects resulting from abuse of the Product, modification, alteration, mishandling, improper maintenance, commercial use, or repair or service of the Product by anyone other than Vornado; damages which occur in shipment or are attributed to acts of God. Improper product use, which includes using an external device that alters or converts the voltage or frequency of electricity, or shipping a Vornado product to a country not intended for use will void all warranties.
Any unauthorized product modification, repair by an unauthorized repair center, or use of non-approved replacement parts is not recommended and any consequences will not be covered by support services or product warranties. The product warranty will be honored only on models that are being used in the country intended. REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS WARRANTY IS THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE CONSUMER. VORNADO SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON THIS PRODUCT.
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANYnIMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE DURATION OF THIS WARRANTY.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights that vary from state to state. The manufacturer assumes no responsibility for damage caused by failure to follow these instructions or improper product use. Any such actions will invalidate the product warranty.
All company names and product names are trademarks of their respective owners. © All rights reserved. All technical information, data, and instructions for the installation, connection, and operation contained in these instructions for use correspond to the latest available information at the time of printing. The contents of this manual may differ slightly from the actual product. Observe any additional supplements.
©2023 Vornado Air LLC, Andover, Kansas 67002 USA.
Specifications are subject to change without notice.
Sharper Image® name and logo are registered trademarks.
Manufactured, marketed, and distributed under license by Vornado Air LLC, Andover,
Manufactured in China.
U.S. Patents Pending.
Sharper Image® Distributed under license by Vornado Air LLC, Andover, Kansas 67002.
FAQs About Sharper Image PORTAL XT Airbar Window Fan
What position does a window fan need to be in?
Place fans that blow inward on the sunny side of your home, and fans that blow outward on the shady side. No matter how many stories your home has, follow these steps. However, if there are numerous floors, the upper-level fans should push rising warm air out while the ground-level fans should draw air in.
What are the benefits of window fans?
The best times to utilize a window fan are during the summer months, according to Deane Biermeier, a certified lead carpenter and member of The Spruce’s Home Improvement Review Board. “A window fan is designed to move air between a room and the outdoors by directing cool air in or hot air out and is most useful during warm seasons,” he adds.
If so, do they chill the air?
The solution is not that easy. A window fan does, in fact, bring in cool air from the outside, circulate it inside the house, and finally bring down the temperature of the space.
Window fans are they waterproof?
All window fans feature enclosed motors, so you can use one while it’s raining without risk.
Are window fans a significant electricity user?
Window fans utilize less energy than an air conditioner, much like other types of fans. Depending on the brand and type, window fans typically use between 35 and 100 watts.
How does using a window fan for air circulation work?
You must control the airflow inside the house. Fresh air can enter the house and circulate throughout it by slightly opening a few of the downstairs windows.
How should a window fan be used at night?
The air closest to the earth will be the coolest at night. Install a few fans in the bottom floor’s windows to draw cold outside air in and blast it inside.
A window fan may be installed sideways, right?
Both vertical and horizontal installations are possible for window fans.
How should my window fan be cleaned?
Clear the blades of dust by blowing it off with pressurized air or a hairdryer.
Can window fans reduce heat?
The most efficient way to remove hot air from your home is through window fans.
What is the ideal location for a fan?
The best performance from fans is achieved when the space in front of the blades is clear. The wall-mount fan is positioned far from any air obstructions.
For more manuals by Sharper Image, Visit Manualsdock
[embeddoc url=”https://manualsdock.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Sharper-Image-PORTAL-XT-Airbar-Window-Fan-Owners-Guide.pdf” download=”all”]